67 dart problem

-

NJDartman

Reaction score
Ok, I need help everybody. I have a 67 Dart GT that has 14" wheels with a 4" bolt pattern and 9" drums. I would like to upgrade to front disks(or better drums) but everything I've found is for either 4.5" bolt patterns or 10" drums. What options are out there for me??? Please help!

i think that only wilwood and ssbc sell kits that have the 4" bolt pattern(ssbc kit you need 10" drum spindles, magnum force sells a kit for the 9"). or you can find an original 72-earlier disc setup in the parts for sale section.

Ok, I need help everybody. I have a 67 Dart GT that has 14" wheels with a 4" bolt pattern and 9" drums. I would like to upgrade to front disks(or better drums) but everything I've found is for either 4.5" bolt patterns or 10" drums. What options are out there for me??? Please help!

Since you have factory drums, your best option is probably moving to the late A body '73 - '76 disc setup, which moves you from SBC 4" to LBC 4.5".
You are looking at new wheels and at least a re-drilling of your rear drums to the LBC 4.5" bolt circle, if you converted to LBC 4.5" wheels.

The '73-'76 A body disc calipers and rotors, as well as wheel bearings and seals are inexpensive so that's one big plus, along with being able to go in any auto parts store and order Mopar factory replacement parts.

However, when all is said and done with the '73-'76 LBC conversion, you will have spent a sizable amount of money, with the cost of new wheels and perhaps rear axles. Please keep in mind that if you do not already have the later A body front parts, e.g. the spindles, caliper adapters, control arms, etc. you will have to find those parts which will cost money --- sometimes as much as $300/350 for a full setup. Most of the time, You also must factor in the cost of new suspension parts for the LBC like ball joints, bushings , etc.
This all adds up in the $$$...

Scarebird does sell a conversion kit that uses a GM style caliper adapter, which will allow you to use GM calipers and rotors, + keep the SBC 4" bolt circle. A few people on this board have converted to this setup. With this setup, you keep your SBC 4" wheels, and you leave your rear drums/axles alone. The Scarebird conversion will cost somewhere in the $600 range, with new rotors, calipers, bearings and seals.

Hope this helps...

I just found this For Sale ad on Moparts, and this may be worth looking into.

I do not know this person, or anything about the parts, I'm simply giving you a heads-up on these parts. You might be able to negotiate a lower price.

New SBC K-H rotors cost from $39.99 to ~ $92 each, and are available, but you must have the EXACT part numbers when you go to the auto parts store, because the parts catalog in many stores do not list these rotors. Calipers = the same advice, or you can get a lifetime warranty rebuild of what you already have for $100 per side, with core charge included at www.calipersonline.com.

Search the earlier threads in this forum (BRAKES) for the exact part numbers.

Here is the contact info. for the seller:

I'm selling the complete front disc brake set up out of a 69 Barracuda. This is KH four piston calipers, rotors, spindles, upper control arms and proportioning vale. Small bolt pattern. $275 plus shipping. [email protected]

31065valiant has a set of rebuilt 10" drums in the for sale section here. $135 for all new wear parts and spindles ain't too shabby. All you have to do is separate 4 ball joints, pull your old stuff off, and bolt 'em on. Even has new lower ball joints.
The next cheapest option is the Scarebird kit. Figure around $500 to get everything you will need and your time to make the swap. Uses GM calipers and rotors though. Your call.

Wilwood makes a kit for the 9" drums. It is available from Summitt for $672 last time I checked. I used there kit for my 10" drums. It was a relative easy install. Jeff

There's a guy threatening to throw away a set of 10" front brakes if someone doesn't offer him something for them. Get his spindles and you can go with the SSBC disc swap.

I'm afraid of any brakes with the word "scare" in their name. It just doesn't give me any confidence that they'll stop. Plus, I've personally had experience with failing 9" spindles. Man, they are thin in spots and weak.

If you're not afraid to do some work, I think Dr. Mopar has a SBP disk brake setup or two on his yard. You'll need a master cylinder, proportioning valve, and complete spindle assemblies (gets you the adapters, calipers, rotors, & hardware. This stuff is dirty iron and will not be cheap to ship. Contact Doc @ http://www.drmopar.com. Tell him the nut with that bought the top off the Duster convertible sent you.

-
Back