67 dart v6 rear end swap to E body 8 3/4

-

illrad91

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm new to this forum and ok with my Mopar knowledge. Anyways I have a 1967 Dodge Dart original v6 and I wanted to change to GTS gerst 4link with the 8 3/4 E body I just bought. The 8 3/4 rear is complete with 3.23 and 12" drums but idk what id need to do to fit the rearend in My A Body dart. Also what kind of 8 3/4 is it? Looks original rear end with the 12" on them with lines and brake line also but idk. So please if you guys could help me I honestly don't want to shorten the 8 3/4 but if I have to what are the top of the line internal axles to get?

ThNKS a lot everyone and I hope to hear from you guy

thumbnail_IMG_7577.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7578.jpg

Hello guys I'm new to this forum and ok with my Mopar knowledge. Anyways I have a 1967 Dodge Dart original v6 and I wanted to change to GTS gerst 4link with the 8 3/4 E body I just bought. The 8 3/4 rear is complete with 3.23 and 12" drums but idk what id need to do to fit the rearend in My A Body dart. Also what kind of 8 3/4 is it? Looks original rear end with the 12" on them with lines and brake line also but idk. So please if you guys could help me I honestly don't want to shorten the 8 3/4 but if I have to what are the top of the line internal axles to get?

View attachment 1715565603

View attachment 1715565604

View attachment 1715565603

View attachment 1715565604

Good morning and welcome,
I'm not an expert on the 8 3/4 but by your second picture, if that is a spring perch on top of the tube, you have a truck differential. You will need to shorten it. If you Google 8 3/4 and look for big block dart, there's lots of info. Dr. Diff is a good source also.

welcome

all the info on rear ends is here
An accurate 8 3/4" rear axle width list

like Stephen mentioned, that rear end will need some work to fit under your dart

on a side note, if your dart have a V6, it is not original, if it is a slant 6, it probably is

post some pictures up of the car, we love pics here

That's a truck rear... with 12" brakes...? You can weld new perches onto the bottoms at your specific Dart location and run some deep offset rims and be done with it. Not that hard to weld the perches: mock up axle under car resting on the new perches, snug up U bolts ,rotate axle on perches to set pinion angle, lower car and check it . Once that is done, tack weld the perches on place, remove axle and finish the welds. do them about an inch at a time alternating sides so you dont heat up axle tubes.

That's a truck rear... with 12" brakes...? You can weld new perches onto the bottoms at your specific Dart location and run some deep offset rims and be done with it. Not that hard to weld the perches: mock up axle under car resting on the new perches, snug up U bolts ,rotate axle on perches to set pinion angle, lower car and check it . Once that is done, tack weld the perches on place, remove axle and finish the welds. do them about an inch at a time alternating sides so you dont heat up axle tubes.

i dont know, if he can find an 8 inch wheel with 7.5 inches of backspacing, maybe

or, he could keep the perches on top to jack up the rear and just have the wheels stick out 5 inches past the tubs
(theres a 70s look for you)

Oh crap, he said E but we said truck.....yeah, its really long....Get A axles and cut it down to fit. My oversight. If you go custom axles you can pick your rim (5 on 4 or BBP) and get em cut for those. Your limiting factor inside is the inner fender or stock spring location, outside is that silly lip. Get 5x114.3 mm bolt pattern axles and run a +35 offset rice rim
EDU_wheel_offset_vs_backspacing_hero.jpg

Thanks so much for replying you guys I really appreciate it. Would anyone want to trade for A body and cash? Well if I was to shorten it what are some good high performance axle shafts? Also what size would I need to get the shafts? thanks again heres pics also

IMG_7601.PNG

IMG_7602.PNG

IMG_7603.PNG

IMG_7604.PNG

IMG_7605.PNG

IMG_7606.PNG

IMG_7607.PNG

IMG_7608.PNG

-
Back