67 dart vs. 69 dart wiring

-

Crusty Brian

Reaction score
I found a complete wiring harness from a 69 Dart, any reason it wouldn't work in my 67 Dart? Thought I'd ask the A body bosses, first

There were changes of some sort almost every year. Start by wandering over to MyMopar and download the factory shop manuals for those years, as well as the aftermarket two page wiring diagrams over there. There IS A mistake through some of those years...........Ma interchanged the yellow start wire and the horn wire at one or other side of the bulkhead connector drawing. You can figure that one out easily

Three I can think of are:
Ignition Switch changed. I don't know the details.
Horn power and relay wiring changed.
Power feeds through the bulkhead changed. '67 used the Z cavity. 68 and 69 move whatever is on Z (IIRC it battery feed) to J ? cavity.
Also maybe:
Wiring for hazzard and brakes light may have changed where they connect at the fusebox and downstream.
Possible change on the engine side is the ignition run. Drawings show it going to the regulator then the ballast resistor in '69. Hven't verified that since seeing it on the drawing.

Another member recently tried to sort out the differences. When reverse lamp switch moved from inside the car(67) to under the car(68 up), 12 volt supply was moved to radio connector to be on a fused circuit. You'll find wires added for the fender mounted turn signals, etc,, etc,,.

Well this thing is a wiring nightmare, looks like its been owned by 4 or 5 Chevy dudes. Any recommendations on a good company to get a harness from (at the least, the dash harness). I live in Tacoma WA and I've gone to Laysons for some things but they seem rather pricey. Year One, perhaps?

Check the for sale section.
Year One has an exclusive with M&H for many of their harnesses.
I do not know if M&H makes a dash harness for '67 Barracuda. If not listed with YO. Call M&H. No idea if you can get through.
One thing is the dash harnesses don't usually get nearly as damaged from heat and oil and the engine wires. So a used harness is not unreasonable option.
Since I've been working on mine I happen to have the Assembly drawing book open.
Only one instrument panel harness for 1967 Darts; 2857251
Yes its different than Valiant and Barracuda

The turn signal flasher wires went up in flames the other day and there is so much aftermarket **** that has been wired in then taken out and different **** re rewired in. I'd rather just rip it out and start fresh. Also, I hate electrical work

if you could find a COMPLETE 69 harness you might have a chance. By that I mean underdash as well as all the engine bay. Then sit down with a 69 shop manual and act like it is a foreign harness, and justify each wire as you connect. Even then you'd need AC vs Non AC and so on and you'd need parts off the 67, like to adapt the neutral safety/ reverse stuff and so on.

Frankly with the advent of cheap digi cameras, this stuff is a LOT easier. I don't mean a smartphone. Look around C/L and buy yourself a basic DSLR. You can find older Canons for less than a hundred. I still have my old XT/ 350D it works fine. It's not worth 'anything.' You can find them as cheap as 75 bucks. I recently bought 2 more 7D's one a real beater, flash does not work, for 75, and the other for 150.

-
Back