67 Distributor-What is it?

-

67ozziecuda

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I have a 67 barracuda formula S with 273 4V motor. It has a dual point distirbutor and I need to know what brand etc so I can buy points, cap, rotor, condensor and hopefully a vac pot. It has a small aluminium tag on the side which says "Chrysler" and the number 2642358 and at the bottom of the tag IBS4013B526. I have posted some photos, any help much appreciated as I'm in Australia and don't know what to ask for with the parts when I start looking for them in the US.

Thanks
Dave

P1010203.jpg

P1010207.jpg

P1010204.jpg

P1010206.jpg

If I recall correctly, the DP distributors used the same points and condensor as the SP distributors. Take the distributor to your parts store and match them to what they have for a SP distributor for that engine and year.

If I remember correctly, the dual point distributors were made by Prestolite. They also used different points than the single point. But as stated in the prior answer, take it to the local parts monger and match up the pieces.

The HP 273 distributors were made by Prestolite. I got tune up parts for mine at
NAPA. Last time I checked, Car Quest had parts too. toolmanmike

Thanks Guys
Mike at "Year One" got back to me today, they have the points, cap, condenser and rotor for this distributor ($60 all up). Yes, it's a Prestolite but it isn't as easy as walking into a parts dealer and asking for these parts as they wouldn't have a clue what a Barracuda was!!. It would be like me walking into a parts store in the US and asking for points to suit an FJ Holden, they would probably laugh at me?

Anyway, the only thing I have to find is a vacuum advance unit for this Prestolite distributor, waiting to here back from Year One, any ideas where else to get one or does someone have a good secondhand one ??

Thanks
Dave

If you can't find a new vacuum advance for that distributor, read up on advance curve. You'll find the engine can run just fine without it.
Leave it in place and plug the vacuum line going to it.

A "real" parts store can look them up by the distributor number, off the tag.

Those points / condenser/ cap/ etc should be the same as ANY Chrysler / Prestolite dual point used in the '60's--70's. They were used in 340s, 440 sixpacks, and hemis

Try telling 'em you have a '70 340

That distributor looks as though it seen better days, For one thing its an 8 lobe which has no gain over a single point. The 4 lobe distributors allowed for higher RPM's with out point float and that is not one. I wouldn't spend a dime on that thing. Your waisting money you could be putting into a new. Electronic Kit. Personally I would go to a MSD system. or if you want just reliability and originality go with MOPAR. Do you still use a spin dial phone?? or have a hand pump well? Maybe even a Ice block for AC.? Bury it and let it there.

electronic is nice I'll give it that....I had a prestolite dual point accel points and coil in my 13:1 340 and it never failed 7200 rpm's on a daily basis...I still have it.....somewhere???? very reliable
go with mopar electronic ignition.

I've got a couple of those dual point distributors lying around my garage in a drawer. Some day I'll put em in a museum.

its an 8 lobe which has no gain over a single point. The 4 lobe distributors allowed for higher RPM's with out point float and that is not one..

This just simply "ain't true." Whether due to better bushings or the iron case, the dual points held up much better than the single point dist's in terms of shaft/ bushing wear

They had a better pivot system on the advance plate which helped stabilize timing

It is NOT true that there is no advantage to an 8 lobe over a 4 lobe. An 8 lobe dual point has a sizeable advantage over a single point, because the points are only doing "half the work." Because neither has to open as far, they tend not to bounce, and because of the overlapping action, can be setup more accurately.

This is ESPECIALLY true when comparing the Mopar dual points with a Mopar single point which, quite simply, is a REAL shitty design.--as opposed to sticking a dual plate in an already fair design, like some GM dist.

I agree that going electronic might just be the better route, but I seem to remember in the back of my foggy old mind that SOME of us ACTUALLY used to be able to drive thousands of miles down the road---using points igniton.

An 8 lobe distributor fires 8 cylinders each set of points open and cose at the same time. So they open and close the same as a single point but the one set is a back-up for the other. A 4 lobe 1 set of points operates 4 cylinders and the other set operates the other 4. This cuts the operation of them in half and allows better control at higher RPM's. All My 69 440 car's with Malory Duel points used 4 lobe. lose a set of points lose 4 cylinders.

An 8 lobe distributor fires 8 cylinders each set of points open and cose at the same time. So they open and close the same as a single point but the one set is a back-up for the other. A 4 lobe 1 set of points operates 4 cylinders and the other set operates the other 4. This cuts the operation of them in half and allows better control at higher RPM's. All My 69 440 car's with Malory Duel points used 4 lobe. lose a set of points lose 4 cylinders.

No need to "explain" a 4 lobe I know exactly how they work. BUT YOU ARE INCORRECT about an 8 lobe.

8 lobe dual points DO NOT

each set of points open and cose at the same time. ----- open and close the same as a single point but the one set is a back-up for the other----. .

THE ABOVE IS NOT HOW AN 8 LOBE DUAL POINT WORKS

8 lobe setups have the points "staggered" one set OPENS and the lagging set is STILL CLOSED. The "lag" set OPENS THE CIRCUIT ELECTRICALLY after the first set has already opened (which did nothing.)

Next, the FIRST set which opened (and did nothing) NOW CLOSES which electrically closes the circuit.

Because of the "alternate" action, point bounce, and the effects of it, are greatly reduced AND point wear is increased because the electrial load is "shared" between the two points.

With your seemingly vast experience in race cars, I AM AMAZED that you don't know this simple concept.

http://www.panteraplace.com/page16.htm

"The two sets of points are positioned in the distributor so that their open and closing timing is slightly overlapped. One set becomes the closing (or make) and the other set becomes the open (or break) set. This timing overlap provides the ability to set a longer dwell time"

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig200.htm

"With the dual points distributor, the first points set to close "makes" the circuit and will incur any ravages caused by a small amount of arcing when closing. The last points set to open "breaks" the circuit and will incur any ravages caused by a small amount of arcing when opening. Since the make and break functions are done by different contact sets, the two sets of points share the wear and each will therefore wear less with time, causing less variation of dwell and timing, and it can run longer between required adjustment or points replacement. Also the two contact sets can share the electrical current load most of the time, so there can be less heating of the contacts and/or rubbing foot. This reduction of running heat leads to less wear on the rubbing foot as well as the contacts. This may be even more important if you also install a high output ignition coil which draws more current, which may noticeably shorten the life of single points. "

-
Back