67 specific manual steering box mounting bolts

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I pulled the cast (omg that's heavy) iron power steering gear out of the dart I'm working on.

I'm putting an OEM (light as a feather) Aluminum manual gear box in.

The bolts from the manual 68 box are 12 point and have a flat maybe conical washer.
The 67 PS bolts are 6 point and have split lock washers.

PXL_20240121_230008045~2.jpg

My other 67 dart with stock OEM manual steering has the 6 point but without removing one I can't tell if it is a split washer or a flat washer

I can see how you would not want a split washer on aluminum as it could cut the AL away with tightening etc.

I want to use the 6 point 67 style bolt.
What do you all think / know, flat or split washer for 67 SPECIFIC manual box.

Notice the bolt on my 67 has a washer showing past the bolt. And the split does not show much but it does show past the 6 point. I can't decide how much it shows.

The flat washer on the 6 point shows a lot.

You can see (barely) the washer under the 6 point on my other 67 dart with manual steering.

PXL_20240121_230543770.jpg

PXL_20240121_230523752.jpg

PXL_20240121_230523752~2.jpg

I guess some engine degreaser and a pressure washer would clean it up and if push comes to shove I'll remove a bolt off my other 67.

One thing to remember is if using headers the larger 6 point on some headers get in the way. They all get a lock/split washers no matter what bolt you use. I always preferred the 12 point vs. the 6 point but to each his own

here's a question: does the manual box have a recess for the split washer like the power box? or is it just flat, thus the reason for the (seemingly) larger conical washer?

also, is there enough meat on the head of the 6-point to engage or properly? the radius(?) of the 12 point head is broader and catches more of the washer.

either way: red loc-tite suspenders to go with!

here's a question: does the manual box have a recess for the split washer like the power box? or is it just flat, thus the reason for the (seemingly) larger conical washer
I did not look for a recess.

In the first photo in my original post you can see the 67 OEM 6pt and split washer and the 68 OEM 12 point and conical / flat washer.

I did not look for a recess.

In the first photo in my original post you can see the 67 OEM 6pt and split washer and the 68 OEM 12 point and conical / flat washer.
i understood that part of it.

i guess it boils down to if the manual box has a recess (cup) for the split washer to sit in, then i'd go with the 6pt and split. if not, then i'd likely opt for the 12pt and the conical set up; because by looking at it, the 6pt does not appear to have a lot of "cap" under the head to sufficiently cover and spread the clamp load to the conical washer.

i am not an engineer. i'm only three racoons in a trenchcoat, but i've never had a steering box fall out of a car.

There's no recess on the aluminum casting. Only difference I'm aware of in castings is the slant six abody cars got a bushing instead of a bearing.
The bolts you show look familiar. I think they may be the same as came on my '67 Barracuda.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once torqued down, the split washer will be essentially a flat washer. The torque on the threads will be what keeps them from backing out. Good ol Carrol Smith covers this well.

You could also use a grade 8 flat washer under the split washer and keep using your 67 bolts. No red loctite, use blue.

Well I pulled a bolt on my 67 manual steering and.......

It's FLAT washer for the win!

PXL_20240125_233345190.jpg

Well, actually a cone shaped washer.

It has a slight cone shape and interestingly the peak of the cone was facing the gear.

There is nothing in my dad's notes that says the gear was ever off the car so I have to assume that's the way the factory installed them.

Also 55 ft lbs torque.
PXL_20240125_233412029.jpg

-
Back