67 steering column question....

-

Troub

67 Dart 270, 225 slant six
Reaction score
I have the steering column apart and finally got the pin pressed out of the end of the shaft today. What are the official names of the two parts (not the spring, the other two) in the pic of my column? I'm looking to see if they need replaced but keep getting confused when I'm searching the web due to what seem to be different names for the bits depending on the vendor. Also including a pic of a rebuild kit from Classic Industries to see if anyone has experience with it.
Thanks for helping this rookie!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The 2 parts are called "shoes" and as you can see in this picture there is a special way that they go in.

Also that additional Retaining Clip is a life saver for keeping the top on the coupler and securing it properly.

67steercolumn.jpg

The 2 parts are called "shoes" and as you can see in this picture there is a special way that they go in.

Also that additional Retaining Clip is a life saver for keeping the top on the coupler and securing it properly.

View attachment 1715353913

View attachment 1715353913
yep I'm ok with the coupler stuff, I was talking about the two parts in my pic that are still on the column. It makes more sense now that I got the shaft pin out and slid them off. I took apart what I'm calling the bearing housing and matched up the pieces with those shown in the Classic Industries rebuild kit. Pic of the housing pieces attached.....

image.jpeg

yep I'm ok with the coupler stuff, I was talking about the two parts in my pic that are still on the column. It makes more sense now that I got the shaft pin out and slid them off. I took apart what I'm calling the bearing housing and matched up the pieces with those shown in the Classic Industries rebuild kit. Pic of the housing pieces attached.....

View attachment 1715353931

One of our good advertisers here on this site Detroit Muscle Technologies has the steering column replacement bearings and Isolator.
Mopar All 62-78 Steering Column Bearing & Isolator Insulator CHR2265656 /2925491,
plus a few other parts in their steering section.

columnBearing.jpg

One of our good advertisers here on this site Detroit Muscle Technologies has the steering column replacement bearings and Isolator.
Mopar All 62-78 Steering Column Bearing & Isolator Insulator CHR2265656 /2925491,
plus a few other parts in their steering section.

View attachment 1715354093
Thanks George, I'm good with the top end stuff but I will check out DMT to see if they have any of the bottom end pieces, all my bits in that bearing housing are good except for the felt washer and the bearings themselves and I hate to pay $170 for Classics rebuild kit just to get those two components.

-
Back