67 VC Valiant ute.

-

Deecee

Reaction score
Hi guys, i picked this old girl out of a barn about 2 1/2 years ago, i have toiled away at it by my self . It was originally going to be a quick paint job, and a daily driver.....well, how many of these builds start like that.. i will slowly show you all what i have done to the old girl.

This is where it sat for a few years, it was used as a tow vehicle for a duel horse float, by the lady of the house, which explains the pink .

And the last pic, "FINALLY home next to big brother"...

Attachments

• VAL 010.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 477
  • VAL 011.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 506
  • VAL 012.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 471
  • VAL 015.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 472
  • VAL 016.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 453
Cool! I love utes! I've never had one, as there are very few in the states. I have a friend who ships cars to Australia, but years ago, he'd bring some back with him. A couple Valiant Chargers, one or two Valiant utes, a VF Valiant, some Holden Torana's, a Ford Falcon or two. I'd definitely like to own one some day. Keep us posted.

I'll keep a watch on this thread...I'm building a VC Dodge ute (Canberra based)...what's the details on your sedan?

I spotted your build up last night, some great work there mate, that's for sure. The sedan runs a strong 360 /727, not a drag machine, i just like to cruise and enjoy it.
The ute runs a 245 Hemi, with the 3 on the tree, same deal, just a cruiser too.

The tail gate was a mess, i think every time she hooked up the horse float, it would bounce of the rear of the car before it landed on the tow bar.
Quite a lot of work went into repairing it, as a skin was out of my reach, this is a very small budget build.

Attachments

• DSCF4990.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 393
  • 003 (3).jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 004 (3).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 417
  • 002 (3).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 411
The tail gate was a mess, i think every time she hooked up the horse float, it would bounce of the rear of the car before it landed on the tow bar.
Quite a lot of work went into repairing it, as a skin was out of my reach, this is a very small budget build.

wish they would have marketed them over here ! likem :coffee2:

-Dale I LOVE it man........ I don't know, 'cause its different or what but the DAMNED "UTE" get me, and yours of all of them has a freakin Hemi-6 in it to boot, the 245....

The pink, tho, thats a bit pastel huh? I like it tho, the rear tail gate panel, the new one WOW!

You say that it was to pull a float, or something? A horse, say wha?????

When i got this, the rear quarter had been cut off, to stop the rust from going too far, so i got a replacement panel, which needed some more shaping, but it went together rather well considering i had never used a welder before. ( as you can tell by the quality of the job).

Attachments

• 008 (2).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 394
  • 012 (2).jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 395
  • 002 (5).jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 001 (4).jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 384
When i got this, the rear quarter had been cut off, to stop the rust from going too far, so i got a replacement panel, which needed some more shaping, but it went together rather well considering i had never used a welder before. ( as you can tell by the quality of the job).

Pretty good for your first sheet metal weld!
Your a natural at it..
:cheers::cheers::burnout:

Thanks guys, ariffle, i think i got lucky, and this pic is AFTER i cleaned it up too. ;)
OzieJoe, the VC is the only model i have ever owned, i like most of them, but have a soft spot for the VC mate, Thanks DR Hemi.

Also when i got it, i could put my fingers through the little channel behind the rear glass and the tray, so i cut it all out, made a template, and my neighbour cut me a couple of pieces of metal to try replace it all.

This is what i cut out of it, and the replacement work.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 359
  • 011.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 372
  • 012.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 389
  • 003 (2).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 345
Dale,
NICE work man! I gotta say, you done better your first go around with a welder then I did, !!!!!

Stick welder or wire feed "MIG"? I started "welding" with a stick...... What a way to learn let me tell ya! :violent1:

NICE replacement work on everything, you got a plastic addiction guy, I know it and others will learn it, BUT its just metal...... A bit bigger and a little more to know how to work it, but really is no difference, in how you do it as long as its done, right, and strong, and by the looks of the UTE, you did just that!

I WISHED they made a model of this car, I love the looks of the thing!:cussing:

Thanks "big ears" and Joe, glad you like the VC's mate, every one i grew up with just wanted Chargers. John, i use a MIG for the first time mate.

Well, after i stripped the bonnet, (hood) and roof back to bare metal, and cut out the rust, i was happy to blow some silver over it.

Attachments

• ute 001.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 315
  • ute 002.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 344
Thanks Vallo440, and Joe, now i got your attention, here is the first 100 odd metres of masking tape, i wanted something different, with out going over the top.
I do a lot of airbrush work on model cars, so i though i might as well have a crack on the real thing, i figured, if i stuff it up, it's only paint, and i have plenty of wet/dry, a good day i could erase all traces of it.
And i am only putting this on the roof, and nowhere else, i am nearly 50 and don't want to be too outlandish... :)

There is about 6 hours work here so far, with out any paint being laid yet.

Attachments

• 003 (4).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 288
  • 002 (6).jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 311
  • 001 (5).jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 273
Cheers John, the amount of time i spent on it, it hurt to remove it all at the end...

After 2 days of masking. re-masking, and then masking again. (approx 400mtrs of tape).

Here is the almost finished deal.

Attachments

• 001 (6).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 008 (3).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 254
  • 010 (2).jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 285
Thanks guys VERY much, it is my first crack at a real 1:1 though, i usually do this stuff on 1/25 model cars, though it should not be too hard,....boy was i wrong.

Here is a shot out side with all the shading done and clear coated, but not yet polished.
And i restored my steering wheel and gave it a paint job to match, also squirted a bit of color around the dash, just to see if it would look any good.

Attachments

• current VC PICS 002.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 229
  • steeribg wheel 003.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 007 (5).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 260
Ok, what's next? Body work, welding and custom paint. Looking forward to the next installment!

Ok, what's next? Body work, welding and custom paint. Looking forward to the next installment!

Thanks, but that is about all the exciting stuff done, just got the "put together" to go,
a good polish, new windscreen and a few rubbers, bumpers,and wheels etc.
Will update in a few days.

-
Back