67 W200 Which motor would you use?

-

74dusterman

74dusterman
Reaction score
I just bought a 1967 W200 camper special 2wd. It has a 383 with a 727 tranny in it now. It is all original with 46600 miles on it. I have a 1974 440 out of a motorhome that I was thinking of rebuilding to put in it. What would everyone else do? Rebuild the 383 and keep it numbers matching or go with the 440?

At 46K, why would the 383 need anything? I would leave it. Sounds cool.

the tq of the 440 is hard to beat but rusty is right... maybe do a cam swap and figure out what the compression is and upgrade other stuff like the trans and cooling system if your gonna tow.

My original plan was to build a street rod but now I think I will keep it original. The 383 needs to be gone thru. It smokes bad. It hasn't been started since 2003. New battery and a little juice down the carb and it fired right up. Does anyone know of a disc brake conversion for the front? Would the brakes out a 80's or 90's truck work?

With low mileage, it cannot have much wear on it. You should bust it off and drive it awhile. The rings might be stuck and some running might free them right up. Dump a can of Sea Foam in the crank case and drive it awhile. It might clear up.

On the brakes there are {or were} disc brake kits that use the drum brake spindles for A B and E bodies, the B&E using the same brakes/spindles from the factory, but the manufacturer escapes me just now. Master Power maybe? Saw the article in an old issue of Mopar Action, but whether they are still available or how decent they are, can't say.

Point is, Ma Mopar's frugality often led to parts bin scrounging so it's entirely possible the B&E drum brake stuff may have the same bolt pattern on the backing plates. Keep in mind those disc kits aren't designed for a king pin spindle on a straight axle, even if they would bolt up you may run into issues. You might look into it and see what you can find out.

I'd keep the 383 btw. Check the valve stem seals. Might have crumbled to dust by now.

This case,the 383. Such a sweet mill. If it has good compression, I run it.

I'd keep the 383. Numbers matching big block Dodge trucks of this era are hard to come by.

It should be a D200 as W indicates 4wd.

Let's see some pics!

When I picked up my 400, it smoked a lot. I just figured I'd drive it till it dropped dead. Well, it refused that notion and slowly got better and better as time went on. Now it burns up little oil and smokes no more.

Dumped a quart of tranny fluuid in the cranckcase and ran it for a while today- no more knock and no more smoke. Going to change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor tomorrow and it should run like new. I will try to post a few pics this week.

Dumped a quart of tranny fluuid in the cranckcase and ran it for a while today- no more knock and no more smoke. Going to change plugs, wires, cap, and rotor tomorrow and it should run like new. I will try to post a few pics this week.

thats what i do to... you just need to get it hot and let it drain for an hr

Here are a few pics of the truck the way I bought it.

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 111
  • truck3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 122
  • truck.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 127
I like the big walk out deck that someone added to the rear. That thing must weigh 200 pounds. 3/16" diamond plate with 3" channel frame. A little body work, disc brake converson in front, replace all the seals and gaskets that have dried up and are leaking and she will be a sweet ride. Hopefully I can get started on it this winter.

I like the big walk out deck that someone added to the rear. That thing must weigh 200 pounds. 3/16" diamond plate with 3" channel frame. A little body work, disc brake converson in front, replace all the seals and gaskets that
have dried up and are leaking and she will be a sweet ride. Hopefully I can get started on it this winter.
TAILGATE PARTY,his house!.......

-
Back