68 -340 engine colour code for red

-

68cudanotch

Reaction score
Hi, New here.
I tried finding a forum category for this question, but did not find one best suitable for my question. So I'll try here.
In the past I have painted a few Mopar engines using proper Mopar Performance engine paint using Mopar part number rattle cans. I've heard that lately the Mopar Performance rattle cans are not nearly the quality they once were.
I'd like to paint using a sprayer and need to know the proper paint code for 68-340 Red. Also, who is the best supplier and brand ? I think I want to spray with clearcoat as a final.
Thanks

Chrysler Industrial Red from Duplicolor is the closest I have found. Red with a little tint of orange.

engine 296.jpg

I used the Bill Hirsh stuff on a few I have done over the years. I'd avoid using rattle can crap and clear coat as well.The Hirsh stuff is a high quality engine enamel and you can add hardner to it like any other acrylic enamel . It will give you long life with the hardner and it will also increase the gloss .

DSC03252a-.jpg

IMG_1268a1000.jpg

IMG_1269a1000.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, New here.
I tried finding a forum category for this question, but did not find one best suitable for my question. So I'll try here.
In the past I have painted a few Mopar engines using proper Mopar Performance engine paint using Mopar part number rattle cans. I've heard that lately the Mopar Performance rattle cans are not nearly the quality they once were.
I'd like to paint using a sprayer and need to know the proper paint code for 68-340 Red. Also, who is the best supplier and brand ? I think I want to spray with clearcoat as a final.
Thanks
I have had realy bad luck with Dupliclor - black and orange.
Takes several coats to barely cover and comes off easy when gas or solvent gets on it. Junk

Last edited:
I have had realy bad luck with Dupliclor - black and orange.
Takes several coats to barely cover and comes off easy when gas or solvent gets on it. Junk
Thanks for your reply. So I guess that goes against toolmanmike's recommendation for the duplicolor.

MP rattle cans are so thin, takes 3 to paint a block but it seems to hold up pretty good if the block is clean. IH Red is pretty close, if not the same color. Can get in quarts

Thanks for your reply. So I guess that goes against toolmanmike's recommendation for the duplicolor.
All I can tell you is that the last engine I painted was professionally cleaned and degreased, primed with duplicolor primer and the black still turned out like crap.
The orange had very little prep, just cleaned and no differance it was crap too.
Some people may get differant results, I can only tell you what happened to me.

I just painted my 340 with duplicolor chrysler red. Used it years ago and worked fine. This new stuff is total crap. 4 coats and you can still see through it. Its like there is no pigment in it. Smells different too.

Thanks for the reply. You have had great luck with the quality of the Duplicolor ? 512Stroker commented below that he does not think it covers well, or stands up well to gasoline spills.
I haven't painted mine for 10 years and It's possible the paint has changed due to EPA and such. Mine still looks pretty good.

Battery topper2.jpg

I just painted my 340 with duplicolor chrysler red. Used it years ago and worked fine. This new stuff is total crap. 4 coats and you can still see through it. Its like there is no pigment in it. Smells different too.
Great info, thanks.

Was just browsing the enternet. Seems all duplicolor spray can engine colors are garbage no matter what color. They must have changed the formula.

-
Back