68' 340 timing cover?

-

RJK3

8 3/4 Hoarder
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me the correct part # for the timing cover on a 68' 340 block?
I have sold the block and would like to offer the guy the cover I have, I just want to make sure it's the correct one.
Part # 2128896
No timing marks.
has 66' cast into the face.

Anyone know if it's correct?

IIRC, the no T-mark cover was a 66 and older cover. Since your cover is stamped 66, that makes it a 66. A 68 model cover would be stamped 68. Now that being said, the 66 will work in all sbms installed with an up to 69 oem radiator, and 69 down power steering gear/brackets, or no gear, and the cast-iron water pump. That cover came with a timing pointer that was secured by the two lowermost waterpump bolts, IIRC.
- In 70 Chrysler put the radiator lower hose on the other side, and a corresponding change to the t-cover and a reindexed dampener, and the aluminum W/P.
-I believe the 69down was a driver-side lower hose, and 70up was passenger-side lower hose. If you have P/S, the pass-side system works best.
- So to recap; The 70up is one system,(cover,dampener,and aluminum pump, matched to P/S rad outlet hose), the 69 down is another system (cover,dampener,and iron pump matched to D/S rad outlet hose). And the 66&older are a variant of the 69down, without the cast-in timing index.
-Is that understandable?Lol, what I mean is did I write in an understandable manner?

What AJ said, the pre 70 model year SB's had the timing marks tab on the pass side. they were cast into the tcover like the later ones which were on the dr side however one or two years had this bolt on pass side timing tab & not a cast in tab on the tcover. Not sure which (pre 69) years was which which is the info you are after but that's all I can contribute

Attachments

• timing tab.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 148
What AJ said, the pre 70 model year SB's had the timing marks tab on the pass side. they were cast into the tcover like the later ones which were on the dr side however one or two years had this bolt on pass side timing tab & not a cast in tab on the tcover. Not sure which (pre 69) years was which which is the info you are after but that's all I can contribute

Yep, that's the timing tab.... :cheers:

wow. look at how much sturdier the 68 looks
the flange where the fuel pump bolts into is twice as thick
and there is about as much material to hold the crank oil seal on the 68 as there is on the entire late model one

wow. look at how much sturdier the 68 looks
the flange where the fuel pump bolts into is twice as thick
and there is about as much material to hold the crank oil seal on the 68 as there is on the entire late model one

The late model one does not have the front part of the cover to bottom the crank seal on. You just have to "wing it" and try to get it into the correct position by eyeballing it, instead of going to a dead stop like the older ones....

More opportunity to mis-install the front seal....

-
Back