68 383 heater hose routing

-

chrisnben

MR Badfish
Reaction score
hi Guys, Just double checking heater hose routing. I'm restoring my '68 383 Barracuda- i do have the bracket located on the alternator triangle, then do they go to a bracket on the inner fender- or- the bracket on the valve cover?? :blob:

I was looking at Herbs Parts. They list both a fender & V.cover bracket for 67-69 big block A-bodies. this is what is throwing me off.

67/68 were on the Valve cover. 69 on the Fender..... However My 69 never had the hole punched on the inner fender where the bracket goes. So your Guess on what you might see on 69 cars.

I could not get a nice set of 69 covers that did not have the bracket on the passenger side. So 67/68 covers are installed on mine with the hoses routed on the cover. Am I wrong??? Don't care at this point and will argue with proof the hole was never punched on the inner fender....

valve cover on ALL 67-8 383 BIG BLOCK A bodies.. 69 383/440 M codes are different and mounted on fender w bracket..though 69 383 [CHROME V COVER] cars still have the bracket on valve cover..at least the originals i have seen did... though i hear some people say some didn't have the bracket... i have never looked up the part numbers to see personally

thanks for the confirmation guys! Loads of help as always. One step closer to done. Pics soon- I promise ;)

OK, I've talked to a few a-body guys now on which valve cover bracket is correct. There is a tall one that looks like a pair of tongs; and a short one about 3" high- both from Mega Parts reproductions. They say the tall one is for A/C & short for non A/C cars. BUT, I have yet to see another restored car with the short one- nor a unrestored car, plus the couple guys ALSO say the tall one is correct.
Then WHY does Mega even offer the short one?? Hmmm...

Wish I had some pics of my car's engine BITD. I got the car apart and the bracket is missing. :wack::protest::banghead:

Every one I have seen is the tall one like this.

Here is a picture of a 69 that has the short one.

Supposed to be numbers matching car so it would seem to give creedance that some 69 cars were also not on the fender.

You never know for sure as these cars are getting pretty old and no telling what the PO or owners may have done.

thanks Gerald for the feedback! I'll go with the tall bracket then. Sometimes it seems I spend more time researching, etc. than in the garage WORKING on the car!:blob:

Well, it's 20 degrees out now and winter is officially here. So, guess I have the next 4 months to get the '68 done (in my heated garage :violent2::clock::sleepy2:

Here is a picture of a 69 that has the short one.

Supposed to be numbers matching car so it would seem to give creedance that some 69 cars were also not on the fender.

You never know for sure as these cars are getting pretty old and no telling what the PO or owners may have done.

My 1968 383 Automatic, Formula S, non AC has the short one.

Well- yet another difference- nice. It would make sense that the A/C cars had the tall bracket so 4 hoses could pass theough it ( 2-heater & 2 A/C). Non A/C cars- just the short bracket for the 2 heater hoses. :coffee2:

Well- yet another difference- nice. It would make sense that the A/C cars had the tall bracket so 4 hoses could pass theough it ( 2-heater & 2 A/C). Non A/C cars- just the short bracket for the 2 heater hoses. :coffee2:

That would seem to make good sense.

One of the A/C lines is a hard line down the top of the inner fender. The return may have routed that way. I have not seen any pictures of 383 cars with air.

-
Back