68-70 340 exhaust manifolds install question

-

HotRod20

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm getting ready to drop in my rebuilt 340 into my 72 Scamp. Has anyone installed the engine assy. with the factory Hi-Po exhaust manifolds bolted on to the engine before dropping it in?
The car has manual steering so I hoping I can clear the steering shaft and the engine drops into the K frame. Anyone done it this way?? or,..... should I install the exhaust manifolds after the engine is on the K Frame??
Thanks for your feedback.
HR20

You may be able to get it in with the passenger manifold, but no way with the drivers manifold unless you don't have your steering shaft installed...

Thanks HemiSSDart!!....you just saved me a bunch of grief!!! thank you very much.I do have the manual steering column in the car.
I'll install the pass side exhaust manifold , then install the drivers side manifold, after its sitting on the K Frame.
HR20

Just be aware that the passenger side is very close to the inner fender. I always lay a blanket over that side if I put an engine in with the manifold, as it WILL hit the inner fender no matter how careful you are being! The other problem is getting the bolt into the passenger motor mount when you have the manifold on...

Was looking for same info on our 67 cuda. So thanks guys, anyone know if Remflex exhst gaskets are reusable(I hope)??

What an absolute fuckin joke trying to get pass side in after engine install. IMO best to have 2 people to install this c*nt! :BangHead:
Or install pass side before dropping the fn engine in. Just about ready for a fn for sale sign....what a fn joke.:elmer:

What an absolute fuckin joke trying to get pass side in after engine install. IMO best to have 2 people to install this c*nt! :BangHead:
Or install pass side before dropping the fn engine in. Just about ready for a fn for sale sign....what a fn joke.:elmer:
You gotta jack that bastard to the sky. I had to use a block of wood under the oil pan, pull the motor mount lower nut, and shove that ****** into the firewall.

IMG_7530.jpeg

Thanks, what do you mean "****** into the firewall"? A sledgehammer?
No, just using the floor jack/block of wood on the edge of the oil pan. All the way up like you are trying to change the motor mounts.

Leave the drivers side motor mount installed, but back a little torque off the nuts. This will allow the engine to tilt towards the drivers side, but prevent ripping the mount.

I also had to dent one side of my TTI head pipes. On the drivers side, closest to the subframe, I couldn’t get the bolt into the flange.

-
Back