68 Barracuda Drivers side signal problem

-

hemibadfish

Reaction score
68 Barracuda signal lights and hazards work fine except when I turn on the headlights. When the headlights are turned on the left signal light indicator and left signal light front and rear are stuck on. When I move the signal switch to signal left the signal works. Any ideas on what i should look at first??? Thanks,

68 Barracuda signal lights and hazards work fine except when I turn on the headlights. When the headlights are turned on the left signal light indicator and left signal light front and rear are stuck on. When I move the signal switch to signal left the signal works. Any ideas on what i should look at first??? Thanks,

More than likely, that turn signal switch is bad. I had an issue like that with a brand new 1. So i bought another 1 from vans on ebay and solved the issue.

The first thing to do is check your bulbs as if any of them are making contact with both terminals it will do all kinds of stupid stuff. If they are ok it's probably the turn signal sw.

The first thing to do is check your bulbs as if any of them are making contact with both terminals it will do all kinds of stupid stuff. If they are ok it's probably the turn signal sw.

Thought I just said that...:lol:

No what I mean if one of the bulbs are twisted in too far or not enough. The contact on the bulb itself will contact both wires and do all kind of dumb stuff. I understand what you said but this happens all the time and most people can't check out a short or a bad turn signal sw. I'm in Michigan and with the corroded sockets this is a common occurrence.

No what I mean if one of the bulbs are twisted in too far or not enough. The contact on the bulb itself will contact both wires and do all kind of dumb stuff. I understand what you said but this happens all the time and most people can't check out a short or a bad turn signal sw. I'm in Michigan and with the corroded sockets this is a common occurrence.

Happens in the northern state’s a lot.

Had a 68 340 4 speed car it was totally indestructible. Had the speedo back to 0 and it still had more. Went thru 3 of us never even put a clutch in it. My brother sold it to a friend then he was getting a divorce so he drained the oil flat pedaled it till it stopped then called the junk yard. Sooo sad.

Most any classic vehicle with 1157 bulbs... when the turn indicator in the dash comes on with the park lamp, the fault is lack of chassis ground at that front park lamp fixture. Why? the current uses that front turn circuit for a ground path. I've seen this condition in all sorts of vehicles.
Your front fixtures are mounted in a plastic grille so they are grounded to the core support with a wire like you headlights. Could be a loose or broken ground wire but the ground path does begin at bulb base to interior of the bulb socket. Rust in there can be the cause.

I would check and clean both headlight ground wires.

What they said. Then switch if grounds are good.

Screenshot_20181028-011037.jpg

-
Back