68 Barracuda Fastback Rear Shock to Gas Tank Clearance Question.

-

TimS

Reaction score
Hello. Finally picked up a 68 Fastback to work on. I've done lots of restos on B and E's. With those cars I have been able to use the spring over shock method to raise the stance of the rear. On this Barracuda, I can barely stick a finger between the rear shock and the gas tank so no room for the lift springs. Car has an 8 3/4 rear. Are shackles my only option here to raise the rear. Car still has it's 14 inch wheels and I plan to go to 15 inch Cragars with 275 tires so I want to get the rear in the air and crank the torsion bars up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello. Finally picked up a 68 Fastback to work on. I've done lots of restos on B and E's. With those cars I have been able to use the spring over shock method to raise the stance of the rear. On this Barracuda, I can barely stick a finger between the rear shock and the gas tank so no room for the lift springs. Car has an 8 3/4 rear. Are shackles my only option here to raise the rear. Car still has it's 14 inch wheels and I plan to go to 15 inch Cragars with 275 tires so I want to get the rear in the air and crank the torsion bars up. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You could place the axle tubes below the springs instead of above the springs. That you give you a good 3-4 inches of lift.

Treblig

On this Barracuda, I can barely stick a finger between the rear shock and the gas tank so no room for the lift springs. Car has an 8 3/4 rear. Are shackles my only option here to raise the rear.

No, springs. The leaf springs are probably worn out.

Seems like Shackles would be a much easier route to lift the car an inch or 2.

shackles " will " ruin your springs in time, then you`ll be right back where you started. nothing looks worse on a mopar than long shackles anyway. stuf that kids do. jmo------bob

if it is that tight....I wonder if someone put the wrong / longer (B body) springs on at some time....or your gas tank is not in the proper position?? or, is the rear end spaced rearwards...maybe to center wheel in the opening??

does the wheel tire fit correctly front to back in the wheelwell...it is suppose to sit to the front, not centered,

if it is that tight....I wonder if someone put the wrong / longer (B body) springs on at some time....or your gas tank is not in the proper position?? or, is the rear end spaced rearwards...maybe to center wheel in the opening??

does the wheel tire fit correctly front to back in the wheelwell...it is suppose to sit to the front, not centered,

Good point. I'll check that tire position out. I believe though it has the original 8 3/4 in it

Good point. I'll check that tire position out. I believe though it has the original 8 3/4 in it

that's good....remember the spring perch bolt location is key to front /back loction.

on some builds I have spaced the front perch slightly rearward for larger diameter tire clearance by adding spacers between the perch and the frame. I have also seen aftermarket / homemade front spring hangers that space the rear rearwards

Good luck,
Denny

that's good....remember the spring perch bolt location is key to front /back loction.

on some builds I have spaced the front perch slightly rearward for larger diameter tire clearance by adding spacers between the perch and the frame. I have also seen aftermarket / homemade front spring hangers that space the rear rearwards

Good luck,
Denny

Just checked and tire location is slightly forward in the opening. I was also wondering, to get more spring perch and raising the rear for more tire, if I could put spacers behind the rear and/or front perch?

Just checked and tire location is slightly forward in the opening. I was also wondering, to get more spring perch and raising the rear for more tire, if I could put spacers behind the rear and/or front perch?

That would increase your fuel tank to rear end clearance issue

Could have incorrect / replacement fuel tank.

Shackles just cause the leaves to sag and a two inch longer shackle is not going
to raise the car two inches.

The best solution is to buy a pair of new springs that have another inch or two of
arch. Not expensive. Several vendors on here probably have them. Ask Denny.

I put a set of HD Coil over shocks on my wife's '68 Cuda with no interference problems at all !!! Matter of fact, the car rides really nice with them on there now !!! Had air shocks on there that kept bleeding down, so it was the best move for me !!! Actually thing of going that route with my '69 Dart too !

I put a set of HD Coil over shocks on my wife's '68 Cuda with no interference problems at all !!! Matter of fact, the car rides really nice with them on there now !!! Had air shocks on there that kept bleeding down, so it was the best move for me !!! Actually thing of going that route with my '69 Dart too !

Would you happen to remember the brand of those? Your car have an 8 3/4 rear? I was looking it over again yesterday and if the upper coil wasn't real wide I could see where those could fit on my car as well. Thanks for the info!

Look into espo springs too. You can get them in 1' or 2" height, about $250 and the people are really nice. I went with 1" and it raised my car almost 2" cause my old springs were drooping, original 69 cuda. Best of luck.

-
Back