68 Barracuda fastback tube chassis build

-

71Demon528

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My close friend Danny who I work and race with is a little nuts. He has a 68 Roadrunner that he races which runs 5.90s, a 68 Dart which he bought a few years ago and is a 6.90-7.0 car, and he finally went off the deep end and bought a third race car. Yes, THIRD RACE CAR. This time he bought the car he has always wanted as a kid. A 1968 Plymouth Barracuda that is a tube chassis car, funny car cage, strut front end, 4 link rear suspension, Dana 60 rear end, with 14x32-15 slicks. The car is set up to run a Big Block and 727. Car weighed 2600 (without driver) with iron RB block, concrete filled, and stock iron heads. It has steel doors, roll down glass windows, removable fiberglass front end, lexan front windshield.

Our plan?
511” low deck with a stock block
BCR girdle and aluminum main cap, hydraulic roller camshaft
Trick flow 270 heads
single plane trick flow intake
APD alcohol carb
727 Torqueflite with trans brake
8” converter

The goal is to have a car that is consistent, reliable, and easy to maintain.

So first thing is first, get the BCR girdle and main cap kit ordered, then get the block to machine shop to have it hot tanked, magged, decked, torque plate honed (as it is already 4.3750 bore), align bore and align hone. Once we get our deck height measurement, we can order a rotating assembly. I will get more pictures of the car this upcoming weekend when I head over to do some side jobs we have lined up. The goofball in the picture is Danny’s nephew who helped him pull the engine out of the car upon purchase. It was bought as a roller, no engine, trans, or converter, also no hood scoop as the one that was on the car was hideous. The green paint isn’t something that will be staying on the car but for not it will have to do. When you have 3 race cars, can only do what you can do, little bit at a time. Lol.

AF1449CA-98FB-48C0-AE84-F4D3E56DBCEC.jpeg

2E4077DC-6CC8-4AA9-B678-76A86A5AC95F.jpeg

76167675-93F5-4C6D-881B-D21CA09F1239.jpeg

7CC6104C-023B-4C7F-8C86-92F77499AD40.jpeg

B822DB8A-54E9-4F62-A31B-B3931563EA8B.jpeg

F01EAA81-249E-4EA3-827E-8CA52AB0273C.jpeg

1DE898C1-DC6D-449D-A155-AA8C5A8BDE0E.jpeg

EA1BF13B-44AC-4D02-91B4-FB1FEF096E3C.jpeg

I don't see anything "Nuts" about that effort. Had I seen, and it was close enough in proximity? I know I would have been looking for room and an excuse. Lol.

But I also know my brain would be screaming big Gen II Hemi. Yes it's double the cost. But it's also double the "Bling"

Your low deck plan is (I believe.) Best bang for the buck option.

I don't see anything "Nuts" about that effort. Had I seen, and it was close enough in proximity? I know I would have been looking for room and an excuse. Lol.

But I also know my brain would be screaming big Gen II Hemi. Yes it's double the cost. But it's also double the "Bling"

Your low deck plan is (I believe.) Best bang for the buck option.

Trust me, first thing that came to all of our minds was G2 Hemi with a KB block and Stage V heads. Lol.
One day, I hope we can make the Hemi happen, but for now, we went with the more affordable low deck option.

Trust me, first thing that came to all of our minds was G2 Hemi with a KB block and Stage V heads. Lol.
One day, I hope we can make the Hemi happen, but for now, we went with the more affordable low deck option.
Lol. I bet

Even with a mild motor, that looks like an easy high eight/low nine setup.
5.70s eighth.

That would be pretty awesome. I’m hoping for 5.90s which I think is pretty achievable given how light the car is. But whatever it runs it runs. Just want it to be consistent, and reliable. Dial it, and run it.

That would be pretty awesome. I’m hoping for 5.90s which I think is pretty achievable given how light the car is. But whatever it runs it runs. Just want it to be consistent, and reliable. Dial it, and run it.
I assumed 2750 at the line, losing 50lbs from lighter heads and block, plus a 200lb driver and fuel. Assuming a 700 hp engine, those are the numbers Wallace gives out. But we all know there's LOTS of variables.

I assumed 2750 at the line, losing 50lbs from lighter heads and block, plus a 200lb driver and fuel. Assuming a 700 hp engine, those are the numbers Wallace gives out. But we all know there's LOTS of variables.

I’m thinking the same exact weight as you are 2750 at the line. Yes lots of variables. We aren’t going to push the cam and heads far simply to try and keep RPM down and hopefully help the block live longer.

Looks like a fun build, mild engine, will help keep it together for more runs.

Thanks Korie. Im hoping it will be a good setup that he can beat on without all the extra maintenance of a high compression, solid roller, big cubic inch engine.
I wish I could have that weight with me In the car.
9.30s with a mild cast iron headed 440 will be a lot of trouble free fun.

I wish I could have that weight with me In the car.
9.30s with a mild cast iron headed 440 will be a lot of trouble free fun.

I agree Korie! Without a doubt. Especially since we are sticking hydraulic roller and not going solid roller. We have a solid roller we can put in it, but it’s a little on the more aggressive side. Especially for the TF270 head.

I agree Korie! Without a doubt. Especially since we are sticking hydraulic roller and not going solid roller. We have a solid roller we can put in it, but it’s a little on the more aggressive side. Especially for the TF270 head.
Damn, I always kick my own *** about buying 240s over 270s

What's going to keep the car lower value is no street option. A roller hydraulic certainly makes more pro Street. But are you going to attempt some street use/street legal?

That opens a WHOLE new door of opportunities. As well as interests.

My point. Most any of us can build a dragster?

What's going to keep the car lower value is no street option. A roller hydraulic certainly makes more pro Street. But are you going to attempt some street use/street legal?

That opens a WHOLE new door of opportunities. As well as interests.

My point. Most any of us can build a dragster?

No intention on any street usage. Pure bracket car. He has the Dart that he drives on the street from time to time. The whole point of the Cuda is to have a tube chassis car with mild power that we can setup to be deadly and make it live. The long term goal for the car is to have a fast engine in here and run 5.30s or better. But again, that’s long term. For now, a dragster with doors will have to do lol.

Nice buy! Looks like the bones are there for what he's planning to do, is it 7.50 cert? Moly? Having been a long-time lime green car owner, I can't stand the color now lol. But when I owned it, it worked for me. I might have some motor and PG pieces laying around...

Nice buy! Looks like the bones are there for what he's planning to do, is it 7.50 cert? Moly? Having been a long-time lime green car owner, I can't stand the color now lol. But when I owned it, it worked for me. I might have some motor and PG pieces laying around...

I am honestly not sure if it’s Moly. I believe it was a 7.50 cert and by the way some of the welds look, it looks like it was mig welded, so mild steel most likely.

What all pieces do you have Sean? Very well may need some engine stuff. We talked about putting a glide in it, and that’s part of future goal for sure. Mainly because of budget and no fabrication needed. We already have a 727 ready to go for it.

The mild power syndrome won't last long, a lot of us are living proof of that. Always wanting to go faster is an addiction. LMAO!!!

-
Back