68 barracuda steering pump question

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
want to replace my steering pump. I believe I have the TRW pump with the big notch in back. It seems most new pumps don't have the pulley. Is it hard to remove the pulley from the old pump and is it easy to put the old pulley on the new pump? Any advice would be great, Thanks

If you see a nut in front of the pulley, then it comes off easy, after the nut is removed....... obviously, lol.
If no nut, then it is pressed on, and you need a specific tool to RnR it. I got mine off the tool truck.
In my experience, the pressed-on ones are daymn tight. When you get the tool, take it apart and put a friction modifier on the threads, so it will last more than just once or twice.

One of these tool sets.

Power Steering Pump Remover.jpg

want to replace my steering pump. I believe I have the TRW pump with the big notch in back. It seems most new pumps don't have the pulley. Is it hard to remove the pulley from the old pump and is it easy to put the old pulley on the new pump? Any advice would be great, Thanks
Autozone and other box part stores have loaner programs where you buy the tool, and when you bring it back all your money is refunded. A very nice system. And those loaner tools are high quality pieces. Check the box to be sure all the adapters are there, if you need instructions on how to use it, google the tool manufacturers web site and or look on you tube.
If the power steering pully is pressed on, you will need the special tool. With the tool the pulley comes off really easy.

Thank you guys I can buy a pump with the pulley all ready on it thru summit but they have like a 500 core charger till a suitable core is returned. Sounds like possible trouble, I can get a pump for around 70 and use my old puliley. Thanks again

Confusedcuda- I have a 68 barracuda as well and have a TRW pump with the hex end as well. I am having a tough time finding any parts to rebuild mine. I suspect the bearing is shot. Ideally I would like to rebuild it to keep it on the car but so far only thing I have seen are gasket kits. Where were you able to find a replacement pump you mentioned?

Found the rebuild kit and it had everything needed in there.
followed the threads on rebuilding and seems to have the same problem as before with p/s fluid making its way out the cap during driving.
I decided to ignore the dipstick on the p/s cap and reduced the level of the p/s fluid in the reservoir to the bottom of the filler neck. This seems to have done the trick- no more overflowing out from under the filler cap while driving so far.
What I am thinking is that the p/s filler cap is not the correct one and therefore it has a dipstick that is a different length than what I should have on the pump to get an accurate full read.
Does anyone know what the correct TRW p/s cap is? (and if there is only one?) and what the dipstick length is on it? (or if it has a dipstick at all?)

These are the tools I have always used for pulley removal and install!

IMG_1067.JPG

-
Back