68 cuda automatic to manual conversion

-

tooslow

Reaction score
I have a notchback 68 with a SM 408 stroker, mild cam and I want to install a manual trans
I reached out to Brewers and they can sell me the linkage/pedals but they will have no 833s for at least 1 year , waiting list . Silver Sport transmissions sent me an Email saying that the cost would be well over $8k for parts and too much work , definitely not a hard sell
Can someone recommend a good thread and different combo solutions .I have budgeted 5k for the conversion . Tremec t5 or the A500 ?

Last edited:
I have a notchback 68 with a SM 408 stroker, mild cam and I want to install a manual trans
I reached out to Brewers and they can sell me the linkage/pedals but they will have no 833s for at least 1 year , waiting list . Silver Sport transmissions sent me an Email saying that the cost would be well over $8k for parts and too much work , definitely not a hard sell
Can someone recommend a good thread and different combo solutions .I have budgeted 5k for the conversion . Tremec t5 or the A500 ?

Did you try Passon Performance?

www.passonperformance.com

I just collected parts to swap my big block duster over from an auto. I bought a trans and pedals locally and the guy threw in a shifter that needed to be rebuilt. Brewer's had everything else I needed, including the rebuild kit for the shifter. I bought the hydraulic clutch conversion kit from Passon, it's a little nicer than the McLeod kit that Brewer's sells, however, it's been kind of a pain to actually get, numerous phone calls were needed to get the kit and the missing pieces, but I should be all set now.

All in all, I would say I have about $3000 into the swap, the transmission pedals and shifter were $1000, the clutch and hydraulic conversion (only a few dollars more than having to buy the entire z bar and linkage setup brand new) were about $1300 and another $700 for linkage and shift boots and misc. hardware.

Hope that helps. It could be done cheaper if you can source used parts locally, most of the original parts that come up on here, the sellers are asking top dollar for and it can be cheaper to just buy a new version.

T5 most likely isn't going to hold up for too long; A500 is an automatic, OD, and lockup convertor. Both would require similar modifications to the Silver Sport conversion to install, which you said was "too much work".
I would keep an eye open for an A BODY 4 speed and bellhousing locally or on this site, then get whatever remaining parts you need from Brewer's.
In the meantime you can occupy yourself installing the 4 speed floor hump. I'd get it now, it's out of stock at AMD but Brewers still has them- for now.
Make sure you know what balance your 408 was built with (internal or external balance; if external, is it LA360 or Magnum 5.9 balance) as it will affect your flywheel selection.

And we go the other way, taking out the manual transmissions and putting in the automatics.

Crazy world we live in.

☆☆☆☆☆

T5 most likely isn't going to hold up for too long; A500 is an automatic, OD, and lockup convertor. Both would require similar modifications to the Silver Sport conversion to install, which you said was "too much work".
I would keep an eye open for an A BODY 4 speed and bellhousing locally or on this site, then get whatever remaining parts you need from Brewer's.
In the meantime you can occupy yourself installing the 4 speed floor hump. I'd get it now, it's out of stock at AMD but Brewers still has them- for now.
Make sure you know what balance your 408 was built with (internal or external balance; if external, is it LA360 or Magnum 5.9 balance) as it will affect your flywheel selection.

This!

Also, check to see if your crank is drilled deep enough for the pilot bearing and the input shaft of the manual transmission.
Better to find out now rather than after . You may have to pull the engine to do this or cut the input shaft of the trans. (not recommended!)

This!

Also, check to see if your crank is drilled deep enough for the pilot bearing and the input shaft of the manual transmission.
Better to find out now rather than after . You may have to pull the engine to do this or cut the input shaft of the trans. (not recommended by purists!)

fixed it :rofl:

ON THE STREET,
With that much engine, I would think the auto is a better match. Even if just a 727 and hiway gears.
But if you want to row gears, that's your preference. As it was mine.
But think about it; unless you have deeeep rear gears, or are short-shifting, there will not be a lot of rowing going on;
Cuz
65mph at the Top of Second, is about ;
5000 with 3.23s; 5500 with 3.55s; 5770 with 3.73s; 6050 with 3.91s; 6350 with 4.10s.
If you shift into Third early, you will drop a bunch of rpm, especially so with street-friendly gears.
Now, as for me
I like to shift at 2800, cuz my lil 367 is just purring real nice there.
So; at 2800 with 3.55s, the mph in each gear is about; 20/33/45/63
So if you want to row gears, on the street, you gotta short-shift.
The other thing is this;
How slow do you want to drive? and how slow will your 408 idle at?
If 700 is your minimum in-gear idle speed,
then with a Regular A833 (2.66 low gear), this is about;
6.5mph w/3.23s; 5.95 w/3.55s; 5.66 w/3.73s; 5.4 w/3.91s; 5.15 w/4.10s; 4.9 w/4.30s; sooooo
If you want to parade it, yur kindof outta luck. Sure you can ride the clutch, but for how long?

BTW
As to a 4-speed; I believe that I have everything you need, except the floor hump and the Back-up switch-wiring, but no under-dash reverse lite. I'd have to scrounge around to find it all.

I would pick up a used box and built it myself. I took a gamble on one for my 69 and it turned out to have a smoked rear main shaft bearing. I was intimidated about tearing it apart but once I did, I realized it not that complicated and I’m a just a dumb carpenter. Just need access to a press and few hand tools and definitely get Passon’s book. I actually just finished my second A833 rebuild for my 65 barracuda. Never looking back at those leaky torqueflites.

Don't even think about a Tremec T5, that thing will dismantle itself on the first 3rd gear powershift worse than when Godzilla gets pissed and dismantles Tokyo. Even the "World Class" T5 is a joke. I used to work on 5.0 Mustangs all through the mid 80's to late 90's. The little 302's with just your basic bolt-ons and an aggressive driver would grenade those T5 like they were made of corn flakes. They will not survive under a 408 Mopar. I still remember one of my best customers, who in 1989 bough a brand new 5.0 Mustang, he drove it like he stole it. He broke 3 transmissions in under 5,000 miles, dealer replaced the first 2 under warranty, I sold him the third one and the ones after that... If you just plan to just drive it to the car shows, not powershift it, and no hard launches with tires that can hook, then it will last, but any aggressive driving, and it just will not last. The "World Class" T5 is only rated for 300 ft/lbs of torque. A good 408 Mopar can do that with 2 spark plug wires removed and the secondaries on the carb not opening.

I would pick up a used box and built it myself. I took a gamble on one for my 69 and it turned out to have a smoked rear main shaft bearing. I was intimidated about tearing it apart but once I did, I realized it not that complicated and I’m a just a dumb carpenter. Just need access to a press and few hand tools and definitely get Passon’s book. I actually just finished my second A833 rebuild for my 65 barracuda. Never looking back at those leaky torqueflites.
Hey, I'm just a dumb Carpenter too! Does that qualify me for 4 spd rebuilding? Wanna send me some cores to play with? Please? Lol. Yeah but really?

Hey, I'm just a dumb Carpenter too! Does that qualify me for 4 spd rebuilding? Wanna send me some cores to play with? Please? Lol. Yeah but really?
Haha, all I have left is couple 904s. I see them on Facebook every now and then around 600$. They were abundant at Carlisle as well this year.

Silver Sport transmissions sent me an Email saying that the cost would be well over $8k for parts and too much work
8k for parts? Which transmission was that for TKX, T56, or something else? Ppl on here 6 or so months back were getting quotes in the 6k range for TKX auto to manual kits. Prices have gone up 2k since then?

Haha, all I have left is couple 904s. I see them on Facebook every now and then around 600$. They were abundant at Carlisle as well this year.
Hey, I was only half kidding! Lol. Hmm. The 600 core deal almost sounds like the ticket. If you can get 2 the same. With different damage, then just replace wear parts. Good idea!

-
Back