'68 Cuda trunk trim (again)

-

Joker13

Reaction score
The guy before me put 69 taillights and trunk trim on the 68 cuda. I replaced the taillights with 68s. Now the question is the trunk trim. Is it just the 2 pieces, upper and lower, running across the back of the trunk or is there a 3rd piece for the middle between those two strips? I have yet to see the middle piece if there is one, nor have I seen the badging if there is not one. I found the upper and lower strips in decent shape.

I thought there may be a middle piece because I have seen a decal for the 68 that I suppose covers the metal but leaves the badging exposed.

NCM_1304.JPG
FB_IMG_1439993416356.jpg

Hope these help.
Disregard my a$$. It's the only close up I have on my phone, sorry. :rolleyes:

The center is the car body. Only '69s have that area covered.
Mine was originally painted red in between but I wanted black.
Thanks for the compliment!! I've had my beastie for over 25 years ...
FB_IMG_1454771684226.jpg

So then all i need are the two strips and the badging. Cool enough. I've only had mine for 3 years. It's my first mopar and I plan on keeping it.

The emblems are the easy part. It's the trunk trim -- and most especially the lower piece (which seems to suffer dents and dings more often) -- that people commonly refer to as "unobtainium."
Beware of repops. It's my understanding that those available are the 'same' for the upper and lower. "You just turn it upside down." NO you don't ... the clips do not match up and there are in fact a few minor differences in the two pieces.
I wish you luck in finding them. And better luck at a winning lottery ticket so you can afford them.
I hate to bear bad news but i believe in honesty over fluff.

Th
The emblems are the easy part. It's the trunk trim -- and most especially the lower piece (which seems to suffer dents and dings more often) -- that people commonly refer to as "unobtainium."
Beware of repops. It's my understanding that those available are the 'same' for the upper and lower. "You just turn it upside down." NO you don't ... the clips do not match up and there are in fact a few minor differences in the two pieces.
I wish you luck in finding them. And better luck at a winning lottery ticket so you can afford them.

Thanks. I am aware of the difficulty in finding a pair, not to mention a decent pair, and unthinkably a great pair. There was a set last year with great finish but a few dings that went for around 450. i waited a few weeks, never pulled the trigger, and they sold. But, I luckily found a pair with a dull finish but virtually no dings. I can polish it better than I can remove the dings.

Forgot I need to get the clips!

Hi Leanna the 67 trunk trims are the ones you can swap for use for top and bottom, they need a bit of tweaking to do this but can be done. the 67 also uses a center trim. 67 has 3 pieces on trunklid, 68 uses 2 pieces that your correct do not interchange top and bottom, though i have not seen those reproduced yet. And 69 which uses a 1 piece trunk trim panel.

I have owned all 3 years starting with a 68 fastback in 1988, and my current 2 cars 67 coupe and 69 coupe.

Last edited:
Hi Leanna the 67 trunk trims are the ones you can swap for use for top and bottom, they need a bit of tweaking to do this but can be done. the 67 also uses a center trim. 67 has 3 pieces on trunklid, 68 uses 2 pieces that your correct do not interchange top and bottom, though i have not seen those reproduced yet. And 69 which uses a 1 piece trunk trim panel.

I have owned all 3 years starting with a 68 fastback in 1988, and my current 2 cars 67 coupe and 69 coupe.
---------this is right !------------

I actually found repops recently from laysons. I have been looking at long time at people's originals but if I am going to spend the money I'd rather not deal with dents.... but I compared to my current ones and they look pretty awesome... but are pricey....

I actually found repops recently from laysons. I have been looking at long time at people's originals but if I am going to spend the money I'd rather not deal with dents.... but I compared to my current ones and they look pretty awesome... but are pricey....
What year is your cuda?

-
Back