68' Dart Brake - Remove Master Cylinder

-

Tacfire11

Strike Hard, Strike Deep
Reaction score
Hey Guys (and Ladies) :) :)

I've taken out the Master Cylinder on my 68', and have a really stupid Question. I couldn't get the pushrod out from the Back of the MC. Is there a Snap Ring or anything holding this in. I took the retaining cap off, and just pulled the whole plunger assembly out of the old MC, and I'll craw under the dash and remove undo the screw so I take it out. Just curious to see how it was supposed to some out.

I'm putting a new late model 4 bolt Cylinder, want to see if I can recyle the pushrod, or drop the $$ for an adjustable. :banghead: Please, Please excuse my rusty old firewall :( (I'm so embarrassed).... I'm media blasting it this weekend.

mcpushrod.jpg

mcpushrod1.jpg

Thanks......

Pat

The rod is retained by a rubber ring that fits into a slot inside the piston. It can be pulled apart but is a monkeyfrrr. I'd run an adjustable rod, but they come with new non adjustable ones sometimes depending on what manufacturer/reman etc, or rubber rings.

I did the same thing. Instead of taking the rod off from under the dash, put a peice of wood between the mounting studs and use a pry bar or big screw driver on pop the cylinder piston off.

The trick is to pull on the clutch pedal and pop it out before you remove the MC.

I just put the whole unit in my vise with the vise holding the rod and the M/C hanging down. Then used my rubber hammer and gave the M/C a good rap. It came apart fairly easily. Just remember to catch the M/C before it hits the floor.

Jack

However you end up doing it make sure you replace the rubber gromet.
The way to do that is put a little lube on the gromet and pop it in using a socket of the correct size.Place the socket on the gromet and give it a little smack with a hammer.

Hey Guys (and Ladies) :) :)

I've taken out the Master Cylinder on my 68', and have a really stupid Question. I couldn't get the pushrod out from the Back of the MC. Is there a Snap Ring or anything holding this in. I took the retaining cap off, and just pulled the whole plunger assembly out of the old MC, and I'll craw under the dash and remove undo the screw so I take it out. Just curious to see how it was supposed to some out.

I'm putting a new late model 4 bolt Cylinder, want to see if I can recyle the pushrod, or drop the $$ for an adjustable. :banghead: Please, Please excuse my rusty old firewall :( (I'm so embarrassed).... I'm media blasting it this weekend.

View attachment 1714970689

View attachment 1714970690

Thanks......

Pat

Working on same thing now, though new MC seems to have new plunger assembly in it , does the rod disconnent or does whole aasembly shown go into ne MC ?

Many of these master cylinders have nothing more than a tiny sheet metal finger/keeper holding the piston and return spring assembly in the bore. So pulling it apart under at the car will often defeat that keeper and pull it all apart ( as shown above ) spilling fluid everywhere. Its all about how old and hard the rubber collar inside is versus how weak that keeper is.
I take master cylinder with rod attached to the workbench and block the piston in the bore before pulling on the rod so it comes apart where I want. In most cases I have reused that rubber collar too. I recall only 1 that stayed in the piston then picked out in pieces. Replaced it with a little piece of hose cut to size.

Brakes are the most important part of a car. Why anybody would use anything, but the correct part
(rubber grommet)which is readily available, is beyond me. This isn't the time to play junior scientist.
Get the correct parts for your brakes, your life will thank you.

-
Back