68 Dart GTS with optional white stripe tires

-

zhandfull

Reaction score
So the GTS Dart I bought came with the factory option of white stripe E70 x 14 tires. I guess redlines tires were standard equipment. I really like the redlines tires but this car is mostly original and I really would like to keep it as delivered from the factory.

Problem is in my mind if I seen a GTS Dart today with white stripe tires I would think that some bonehead cheaped out and went to sears to buy tires for his muscle car. I'm kind of a black wall tire guy on all my other cars. I think the redlines look great on most older muscle cars but I'm not sure how they would look on my Dart as the car is Burgundy colored with body colored wheels and dog dish caps.

Anybody have a picture of a Burgundy colored Dart or Valiant with redlines tires and body colored wheels?

I'm thinking white stripe tires would look a little goofy on a 68 Dart GTS. My car came factory Burgundy colored, black vinyl top, and with white bumble bee stripe. What do you think redlines or white stripes tires?

Anybody have a picture of a Burgundy colored Dart or Valiant with redlines tires and body colored wheels?

I'm thinking white stripe tires would look a little goofy on a 68 Dart GTS. My car came factory Burgundy colored, black vinyl top, and with white bumble bee stripe. What do you think redlines or white stripes tires?

What color was the interior?

My 68 Barracuda S is Burgunday paint, white stripe, white top, burgundy and white interior (seats and door panels white).

This is close as I can get to a Burgundy GTS. Replace the black with white. IMHO, white looks better.

Attachments

• gtsleftfront.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 224
  • gtsrightfront.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 239
  • gtsrightrear.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 234
Go with a thin white, I think it will look period correct. If you really can`t stand them you can turn them around or dye them red.

3/8" White Wall, Bias Ply, Re-pop, E70-14 will cost around $180 each tire

3/8" White Wall, Radial will run about $200 each tire. (215-70-14 couldn't find any other useable sizes)

A standard 3/4" radial White Wall in a 205-70-14 will run about $68 each.

Just something to think about.

If you haven't driven on Bias Ply tires, think carefully before making a choice.

I have E70-14 red lines on my car. They are nothing like a radial.

The interior is black like the picture autoxcuda posted. Thanks thats good to see that picture.

I was unsure of the white stripe size. So to be correct it would be 3/8" not 3/4"? That would probably help in the looks department. I'm struggling with spending $200 a tire for a couple reasons one is the cost, two is the car currently is unrestored needing paint, interior, and of course tires. I don't have the money for paint so it will have the 43 year old patina look for now.

I'm not a concourse numbers matching nut, but I like the look. So I appreciate the thoughts and opinions.

68FormulaS340 I have thought about the money and the white 3/4" standard tire being cheaper a lot. I'm thinking the look will be all wrong at this point. The 3/8" stripe white tire might work for me in the looks department. I'm going to have to research some more pictures. Radial tires will be going back on since this car will be a driver.

Little off subject but in my opinion seems like the car should of had a white top with the white stripe tires and bumble be strip.

If I remember right, I think it's Michelin who makes the "Symmetry" tire line, and they come in radials ply with a 3/8" white stripe. Check it out. Might also be a Sears tire? I don't remember. The mid-year Vette guys buy them.
Anyway, you can leave it white, or dye it red.
Good Luck!

George

Hi there, I would check my fender tag if I were you to see if it came from the factory with redlines? I personally think they look better than white or white letter tires. I would definitely go black otherwise. If your not sure how to break it down I can do it for you. I also have a 1968 GTS .

Hi there, I would check my fender tag if I were you to see if it came from the factory with redlines? I personally think they look better than white or white letter tires. I would definitely go black otherwise. If your not sure how to break it down I can do it for you. I also have a 1968 GTS .

Welcome mklewis0 I too am a fellow nova Scotian

I have been looking for new white walls for my '69. The tires on the car, which I put on in the mid '70's have a 7/8" white wall. I want to keep with 7/8" as I am sure that was the original width. My tires are Goodyear Power Cushion . Diamond Back Tire will make them on radials, but I have no idea how they will turn out.

-
Back