'68 Dart Passenger Fender Antenna Mounting

-
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! Been a long time since I've been on here, but it's good to be back. I purchased a '68 Dart 270 this past January and so far have really been enjoying it. I was at a local cruise in and I noticed a difference between the way my radio antenna mounts to my fender and pretty much the way every other 67-9 dart antenna mounts.

My antenna mounting location on the fender isn't flat like on every other car. Mine is kind of dished. I'll attach a picture so you can see what I mean. It causes my antenna to sit crooked and tilt inward towards the hood rather than stand straight up.

I know my car was in at least one good wreck before I bought it, so unfortunately I'm pretty sure that fender is not original to the car.

I've had some people tell me this is how ALL replacement fenders came back in the 80's from Chrysler, but that doesn't sit right with me. I crawled around under the car and found some rubber stamped numbers as well as the marking "N8" written in grease pencil. Are these factory numbers?

Any ideas?

20220605_195311.jpg

20220605_195248.jpg

20220605_195305.jpg

20220605_195408.jpg

20220605_195413.jpg

20220605_195547.jpg

20220613_163624.jpg

20220613_163700.jpg

I believe the piece under the fender that the antenna is attached to is not tightened down straight. You can PROBABLY loosen the nut at the base of the antenna & straighten it, then retighten the locking nut. I'm pretty sure the base piece (under the fender) is adjustable as far as the angle of the antenna mast goes. Not positive, but you can check for yourself.

Yes, your mounting area is not "standard". At this point, I would make a "wedge" to correct the angle.

That's more or less what I'm going to have to do. I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this before? I can't believe I have a one of one factory mis stamped fender haha

It looks to me like the bezel can be loosened and repositioned. Maybe the upper of the 2 chrome pieces can be rotated to correct the angle, then retightened.

After more than 50 years it could have an incorrect antenna mast too.

Not all fenders were made with antenna holes in them but yours looks like it has a recess stamped into it so it's unlikely it is incorrect. I'm more familiar with 2nd gen Barracudas and there definitely is not a recess.

I was at an all mopar show a few weeks back, so I had the opportunity to check out several other Darts. Oddly enough, not a single 67, 68 or 69 Dart had an antenna mount like mine.

I tried to adjust mine out some more, but without actual modification of the bezel, it's as straight as its going to get.

Weird stuff.

I'll grab a picture next time I'm home, but from what I've seen I'm 99% sure it's the correct antenna. The area where it mounts on the fender is what's different.

Now that I look closer antenna bezel looks correct. Those painted/stamped #'s on fender look like factory part #'s.
I'll grab a picture next time I'm home, but from what I've seen I'm 99% sure it's the correct antenna. The area where it mounts on the fender is what's different.

Not being a smartass, but 2 of the best things you can do to help yourself....well 3,
1. Factory service manual
2. Factory parts manual
3. Join FABO:thumbsup:
Manuals are available at mymopar.com for free, just make sure you get a factory one. (Some over there arent factory)
Right? That's what I thought too but I'm not an expert by any means, nor do I have a parts book to compare to.

Not being a smartass, but 2 of the best things you can do to help yourself....well 3,
1. Factory service manual
2. Factory parts manual
3. Join FABO:thumbsup:
Manuals are available at mymopar.com for free, just make sure you get a factory one. (Some over there arent factory)

I'll have to check that site out. I just got the car back in January, so looks like I've got some reading to do!

-
Back