68 dart sway bars?

-

slowdown

Reaction score
Just started looking into these, I have a 68 dart without sway bars front or back. Did any of these cars ever come with them? How about a aftermarket line? If anyone here has installed these on a 68 dart did they give a noticeable difference? If there's a aftermarket dealer is this a worthwhile install? Thanks.

Yeh. They did. If you try and adapt a used one you must be careful. AT the change in K members, 73/ later the bar was bent different and went inside the hollow K

72/ earlier went under the K

The tabs on the lower arms are different 72 earlier, and 73/ later

Hotchkiss and PST both offer aftermarket kits, I don't know who else

Anti-sway bar is a VERY desirable feature.

The high performance 68 Darts came with a front sway bar only. Do not add a rear sway bar unless from an aftermarket matched set of sway bars. Even the factory front sway bar makes a big difference. The lower control arms will need an attachment point like 67Dart273 has said. Firm Feel also makes bars.

Some HD suspension and trailer towing optioned cars got front sway bar. My 68 GT Convertible with 273 2 bbl and A/C got a front bar.

Get Hellwig or Firm Feel....

and you DO NOT have to have lower control arms with the tabs for the aftermarket bars. They make them to work either way....

I have bars from Firm Feel on my '68 convertible barracuda. I also have heavier rate front and rear springs in mine, plus the full chassis stiffening kit from US Cartool including weld in subframe connectors and Koni shocks on all 4 corners.

If I had to choose one system or the other, I would install the subframe connectors and chassis stiffening kit first, but its the package of all these components that transform these cars into near slot cars with a smooth compliant ride on the open road.

Some guys like to slam these cars down by lowering them, but I prefer mine at the factory ride height in the front with a slight rake that a slightly tail high ride height provides. It works very well out in the real world by keeping my headers, oil pan and transmission pan higher up and further out of harms way. My car will still out handle the majority of cars on the road, and now with a new injected 408 and 4 speed automatic and 3.91 gears, it's quicker and faster than most of them too.

It's the package.

I have bars from Firm Feel on my '68 convertible barracuda. I also have heavier rate front and rear springs in mine, plus the full chassis stiffening kit from US Cartool including weld in subframe connectors and Koni shocks on all 4 corners.

If I had to choose one system or the other, I would install the subframe connectors and chassis stiffening kit first, but its the package of all these components that transform these cars into near slot cars with a smooth compliant ride on the open road.

Some guys like to slam these cars down by lowering them, but I prefer mine at the factory ride height in the front with a slight rake that a slightly tail high ride height provides. It works very well out in the real world by keeping my headers, oil pan and transmission pan higher up and further out of harms way. My car will still out handle the majority of cars on the road, and now with a new injected 408 and 4 speed automatic and 3.91 gears, it's quicker and faster than most of them too.

It's the package.
Thanks for the info. I have welded sub connectors, I have just recently began looking into a sway bar. But from what u guys have said it looks like I will be installing one in the future. I also prefer the not lowered look of these cars but to each there own.

-
Back