68 fuel sending unit.

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
I have put my second fuel sending unit in my 68 dart,2 dr. sedan. Both have been from Van's Auto Parts. I thought it was a ground problem. I now have a ground at the hard line before the fuel pump,a ground going from the sender to the body, aground from the hard line to the body, the block is grounded to the fire wall, the battery to the head. The factory ground on the back of the guage cluster goes from the volt limiter to the column support bracket and also to the column. The guage works off and on during cold weather or rainy weather. Nice and hot days it is on empty constantly. i am out of Ideas !!!! Any one have any suggestions. This is a daily driver that is being restored and has a 318,904,7 1/4,the tank is stock,has a new insulation pad between tank top and trunk. I have a electronic guage volt limiter. HELP !!!!!!:banghead:

Very first thing to do is "split the problem in half."

Easy way to do that is to carry your multimeter in your car, and leave the left kick panel off.

Next time the gauge quits, stop someplace, make doubly certain it is not working and that the temp gauge IS working, and disconnect the rear harness in the kick panel.

You have (I hope) by this time previously marked the sender wire so that you know which one it is. Take your multimeter and see if the sender returns a correct reading

empty, around 73 ohms, half full, around 23--25 ohms, and full, around 11 ohms.

See? easy.

Take care to insure that you have good meter connections, and if you get no reading, check the wire connection at the tank, the sender for ground, etc.

If the sender measures OK, and be certain that the temp gauge DOES work, there's only so much left-----

the nuts on the gauge studs,

the gauge unit itself,

the pin on the PC board routing the sender wire, and the connection at the kick panel connector.

one member had a similar problem except opposite. Dry and warm worked fine, cold and rainy = inop. Another reported intermittent inop with no reference to weather conditions. If my memory serves correct, both were due to a faulty connection in the fancy booted wire terminal at the sender.

Thank you all, for your knowledge and your replies!!!! I will take all your advise and do all your tests. Will let you all know how it turns out. Thanks.

-
Back