68 ignition upgrade help

-

Reaction score
hello all,

Here's whats done. removed orginal /6, now has '82 318 with newer distributor (magnetic pickup, P3874909). The ignition module has not been changed, it is a P3874020 (I believe this to be the proper one, 5 wire with a two connector resistor? it ran with whatever dist. was in the org slant). not sure why but don't seem to get great spark. has new cap, rotor, wires,plugs. Does the wring have to change with this different combination of distributor and module?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

Slide1.JPG

the fresh paint in the eng compartment might be the problem...68's didnt have electronic ignition, so somebody has put that in before you...remove the ign. box and clean some paint off to make sure that box grounds well...also make sure you have good engine and battery grounds...

hello all,

Here's whats done. removed orginal /6, now has '82 318 with newer distributor (magnetic pickup, P3874909). The ignition module has not been changed, it is a P3874020 (I believe this to be the proper one, 5 wire with a two connector resistor? it ran with whatever dist. was in the org slant). not sure why but don't seem to get great spark. has new cap, rotor, wires,plugs. Does the wring have to change with this different combination of distributor and module?

Thanks for the help

Cheers

in your picture it looks like your two pin ballsat is actually on the wiper motor? if thats what your using thats your problem. the ballast on the wiper motor is for low speed wiper not ign..

ecudia.jpg

ok, so where is the balast resistor located? That's the only one I can see. maybe that's what the problem is?

the ballast on a dart is usually on the firewall.. in the corner by the driverside fender...

locate all your ign wires, trace them out and make sure they are all there and hooked up properly.

goto the wires going into your ecu. two wires should have a plug and goto the dist. the black wire with a yellow line on it should goto your coil (negative side). the light blue wire with yellow line should goto the key power side if the ballast resistor.

ecudia.jpg

-
Back