68 plymouth 273 question

-

tguss

Reaction score
i have a 68 valiant 273 2 barrell from factory ,guy i bought it from changed intake and carb to a edelbrock 4 barrel setup 600cfm carb ,i dont think he changed the cam. the car runs great but after driving it ,let it set ,go to start it, it crank over for a few befor it starts, could this be the carb setup or fuel pump leaking off ? would it be best to put the orginal intake setup back on it ? any ideals be helpfull

Sounds like a heat soak problem, the edelbrock carbs are notorious for this. Basically, the heat from the engine boils off the fuel in the float bowls, and then you have to crank it over to refill them. If you can find a thick baseplate gasket, or fab up a thin, aluminum spacer to put under the carb, that should help solve your problem

i put a 1 inch spacer between carb and intake but still does it , once started it runs great , just bugging me on cranking over so much befor it hits.

You could block the heat cross over but know that it will take slightly longer for the car to warm up in the winter.

You may have to consider adding an electric pump to keep things primed. Mopar action had a good tech article in solving this problem. Try checking their online tech archive. I don't have a link handy.

Just did a quick check on my phone, can't find the article I mentioned. I do recall Ehrenberg adding a 1/4" return line to the tank to keep a continuous supply of cool fuel to the engine.

-
Back