68' Slant 6 to 340 V8 Conversion questions

-

darkshadow188

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm doing a V8 swap on a 1968 Dodge Dart and I have a few questions. Before I get into the questions, the car has been stripped, and had some minor restoration. During my swap I will be using a Dana 60 rear with 3.21 gears, a 727 trans, a v8 K frame, and manual steering.

Q: Does anyone know what headders will work best with the 68's? i've hears of issues with the stering clearance, but have not gotten that far yet.

Q: I'm switching to disc brakes in the front and drum in the rear. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram for the porportioning valve? Also, will a larger master cylender be needed?

Q: Does anyone have a good head, cam, intake setup for a 340? I've spent most of my time working on GM and Fords, and know enough to get by on Chrystler products (Don't Judge).

Q: The V8 K frame has crappy welds on it (i think all of them do, looking at the slant 6 frame), is beefing up those welds reccomended?

Q: Can anyone think of any issues I might run into, if I'm swaping out everything with V8 parts?

Any help would be great. I hate being the new guy, but everyone needs to learn sometime.. So I'll say sorry in advance, lol.

Hey everyone,

I'm doing a V8 swap on a 1968 Dodge Dart and I have a few questions. Before I get into the questions, the car has been stripped, and had some minor restoration. During my swap I will be using a Dana 60 rear with 3.21 gears, a 727 trans, a v8 K frame, and manual steering.

Q: Does anyone know what headders will work best with the 68's? i've hears of issues with the stering clearance, but have not gotten that far yet.

TTI is the most likely candidate.

Q: I'm switching to disc brakes in the front and drum in the rear. Does anyone know where I can get a diagram for the porportioning valve? Also, will a larger master cylender be needed?

Use the proportioning valve and master cylinder for the year of the car the discs are for, likely 1973-1976 Dart Duster, etc. Drum brake mc's are different from disc.

Q: Does anyone have a good head, cam, intake setup for a 340? I've spent most of my time working on GM and Fords, and know enough to get by on Chrystler products (Don't Judge).

Lots of info on this site. depends on what you want to do, street or strip...this could be a thread all on its own.

Q: The V8 K frame has crappy welds on it (i think all of them do, looking at the slant 6 frame), is beefing up those welds reccomended?

Weld them better and you can add gussets that would reinforce the k frame. A couple threads here have pictures of what others have done.

Q: Can anyone think of any issues I might run into, if I'm swaping out everything with V8 parts?

If you have a donor car that is complete, you pretty much change everything over. Torsion Bars to Radiator.

Any help would be great. I hate being the new guy, but everyone needs to learn sometime.. So I'll say sorry in advance, lol.

Welcome to FABO. Look around. Check out the search features, you can find answers or discussions to most of your questions above.

Welcome to FABO! I think you will have a lot less header clearance problem with a '68 Dart than everyone seems to have with their '63 - '66 cars. Not to seem like a grumpy old fart (though I can be on occasion) you might get more and better answers to your questions about your '68 on the "Auto Tech Discussions" forum than you will here on the "Early A Body Discussions" which really focuses on the pre 1967 cars. Good luck on your project!

BC

-
Back