68 slant6??

-

furyfrank

Reaction score
I have a 68 valiant that I bought non-running. The engine has a pertronics ignition and a slight cam. When trying to start it takes about 10 seconds before the engine sounds like it wants to start, but at that time the starter gets very hot. So my question is could it be the timing is off, the dist was put in the wrong way. I will check the timing which I am told can be done while trying to crank it over. I also will check to see if I am getting spark, Any suggestions ?:eek:ops:

So that guy finally sold that valiant. I tried to buy it months ago and he was a huge a-hole about it. Glad you got your hands on it frank!

The guy selling that thing said it had a blown head gasket months ago and then he changed his add saying he changed the oil which fixed it btw. I hope you get that thing figured out!

hey rockerdude is this the car you where talking about

Attachments

• 3E73G43N55L95H75M9d4i9874acc746d51046.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 165
Yes sir. Hope you got it really cheap! Lol

hmm... maybe wensday i can head out your way if you dont have it figured out yet...

pm for my number if you like.
Sorry I am not going to be around on wednesday I am kind of laying back with the heat just searching for some ideas, and thanks for the offer:headbang:

Yes sir. Hope you got it really cheap! Lol

I don't think at this time it is the head gasket ( could be wrong ) I think it is more of a ignition or timing problem. With the heat I am laying back, will try to make it up to the car show but have been busy on weekends. I have had cars with bad head gaskets and they never acted this way.:headbang:

Until you get some basic diagnostic tools, you will be endlessly pondering all the possibilities. Get an in-line spark tester, remote starter switch, compression gage, timing light. The later can be found at garage sales and thrift stores since useless on modern cars. The others might cost $25 at Harbor Freight on sale.

-
Back