68 valiant project....440 tapping ticking sound at 2500 rpms and up

-

aaronj

Reaction score
Title says it. This is a new engine that was tuned on the dyno. Since getting it in the car i have had this noise. I thought it was an exhaust leak, but now im not sure. If it is it would have to be on the header flange, I've checked everywhere else. I do not hear the sound at idle. It is heard in park and under load. Any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Video below.

Last edited:
I might as well post some pictures of the car too. Its a 68 valiant with 440 727 swap. Here is the list of what ive done to it.

440 sixpack ported 915 heads (just under 500ish hp)
Cope 727 prorace with reverse manual value body and PPP shifter
TTI 2" headers
3" x pipe w borla Xr1s dumped infront of rear
19x26 radiator with 12" fans
Wilwood discs front and back
Mini tub
Calvert monos with smith assassin bars
15x10 steelies with hoosier quicktimes 28x13.50
8.8 cut down with 4.10 limited slip

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

Last edited:
flex plate interference.
Sounds a little tinny in the video.....
That would explain why it didnt happen on the dyno...

I was thinking that. I need to check it closer, but i see no wear on the converter bolts

Hard to tell, but sounds like lifters to me, how warm was motor in video? Beautiful car by the way, which ones faster this or the Fox body in garage?

I was thinking that too. It doesnt tick at idle like most lifters that wont pump up. As far as the fox....thats a loaded question lol. Its a work in progress. I have too many projects. It will be when finished though

IMG_0008.JPG

maybe try using a heater hose like stethoscope. See if you can pinpoint it to a particular side of the engine, maybe narrow it down to a particular rocker

just had this happen on mine. converter bolt interference on back of dust shield. just thought id throw it out there.

I think I'm going to try this or use a shop vac set to blow. That way I can rule out exhaust leaks.

that what I thought, too. but he said there was no evidence of contact

you wont see it on the bolt heads. you will see it on the back side of the shield. OP has not stated if he even has a shield??

i dont think exhaust leak as in most cases you would here something from idle?

-
Back