'69 318 red?

-

fshd4it

Squid inc
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does the red on this timing chain cover look a bit too orange? Original paint, so was the motor that it came off of. The oil pan is Duplicolor Chrysler orange, and the camera did a pretty good job of replicating the shades. The red might be a tad darker to the eye, but just barely. I always thought the red was, well, more red. I'm going to use the Martin Senour IH red, just haven't found a place that stocks it yet to compare.

20161116_165441.jpg

20161116_165413.jpg

Does the red on this timing chain cover look a bit too orange? Original paint, so was the motor that it came off of. The oil pan is Duplicolor Chrysler orange, and the camera did a pretty good job of replicating the shades. The red might be a tad darker to the eye, but just barely. I always thought the red was, well, more red. I'm going to use the Martin Senour IH red, just haven't found a place that stocks it yet to compare.

View attachment 1714990152

View attachment 1714990153
Look for Chrysler Industrial Red

Look for Chrysler Industrial Red
Is the IH red not the closest match? I've read it's closer than the Mopar paint, but wasn't sure if the reference was to small blocks or just the slant six red (which I've never seen).

View attachment 1714990152

View attachment 1714990153
I did the same comparison and my distributor was a good place to find original paint. I tried the IH red but must have gotten the old color. (there is 2 different IH reds) I tried the Mopar orange and it wasn't close. The Mopar red is a orange red and I settled on Industrial red.
engine 167.jpg
engine 296.jpg

What brand was the industrial red you used, Mike? Looks like your distributor is about the same shade as what I found. I'm not worried about a restoration-type match, just something close.

What brand was the industrial red you used, Mike? Looks like your distributor is about the same shade as what I found. I'm not worried about a restoration-type match, just something close.
I bought it at the NAPA store. I'll post the brand name if I can find it.

I bought it at the NAPA store. I'll post the brand name if I can find it.
Looks like there are a few different brands, but none of the auto parts stores near me carry any. Napa can do a local store check for me, and the web says Home Depot, so I'll check that out next trip to town.

-
Back