'69 318. WIW?

-

GoDartGo

thread killer un-member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1969 318 that is apart and I see it has a forged crank and floating rod pins.
Can you guys tell me if I should bother trying to sell it or scrap it. Thanks -shawn

Why scrap any of it? Build you a hot 318.

Put forged pistons on top of that forged crank, decent heads and cam then hit it with a 150 shot.... :D
Well, it's a better plan than scraping it.... :realcrazy:

Don't scrap it.
crank is worth 100.00 , rods are spindly and paper weights, though still better than twisted sbc rods.
What is it out of?
That block....could possibly bore to 4.04, no more of course, but It's pretty damn likely. since we have been sonic testing quite a few of the 67-72 blocks and find most will take a std 340 piston with enough thrust wall left to be reliable. It might be worth sonic testing for a frankinteen 340.
last one I did a couple years ago, over 4k on it now and going.

came out of a 1969 Dodge P.U. with a 1968 casting date on it.

I already have a LAMagnum360 in my ScampDart.
I have dreamed of such an engine 340 from a 318 block. If I had the money to do it I would go with the 4" crank.

came out of a 1969 Dodge P.U. with a 1968 casting date on it.

I already have a LAMagnum360 in my ScampDart.
I have dreamed of such an engine 340 from a 318 block. If I had the money to do it I would go with the 4" crank.
Does it have 4 ear/hole mounts ?

what?????? Are you talking about the transmission mount area? Yes, there are 4
holes there.

Last edited:
Don't scrap it.
crank is worth 100.00 , rods are spindly and paper weights, though still better than twisted sbc rods.
What is it out of?
That block....could possibly bore to 4.04, no more of course, but It's pretty damn likely. since we have been sonic testing quite a few of the 67-72 blocks and find most will take a std 340 piston with enough thrust wall left to be reliable. It might be worth sonic testing for a frankinteen 340.
last one I did a couple years ago, over 4k on it now and going.

I cannot agree. Those are the exact same rods Mopar Performance offered as a performance set with good rod bolts all through the 70s and 80s. Same casting number. I have two sets. The MP rods are hard to find now. They are stronger than you give them credit for. They are light as heck too.

what?????? Are you talking about the transmission mount area? Yes, there are 4
holes there.

IMAG2576.jpg

I cannot agree. Those are the exact same rods Mopar Performance offered as a performance set with good rod bolts all through the 70s and 80s. Same casting number. I have two sets. The MP rods are hard to find now. They are stronger than you give them credit for. They are light as heck too.
I speak in comparison, stronger than a sbc and a floater, better length, but ill take a floater 340 rod for swinging 4.00+ pistons 6k+ rpms, luckily, to a point, It's just an opinion or preference. Would someone want to spin those early floaters to 7000+ in a 340 or 360, maybe some prefer to.

I speak in comparison, stronger than a sbc and a floater, better length, but ill take a floater 340 rod for swinging 4.00+ pistons 6k+ rpms, luckily, to a point, It's just an opinion or preference. Would someone want to spin those early floaters to 7000+ in a 340 or 360, maybe some prefer to.

Lots of people used them in Stock eliminator. I don't have to tell you how high those engines spin.

What I have always wanted to do was build a 340 with the 273 crank and the early 318 light weight floating rods. Balanced to the inth degree, it would do well. Probably rev to the moon.

Lots of people used them in Stock eliminator. I don't have to tell you how high those engines spin.
Well if this were a stock eliminator and they were being cycled out often, then that's a different story...by all means set a record and bet your own money on them.
The yards will be empty of tiny 318 floaters after this thread.lol To each his own.

What I have always wanted to do was build a 340 with the 273 crank and the early 318 light weight floating rods. Balanced to the inth degree, it would do well. Probably rev to the moon.
We both know they went to the bigger rod so they didn't have to worry about warranty issues in case they failed.
Yes it would rev real quick.

We both know they went to the bigger rod so they didn't have to worry about warranty issues in case they failed.
Yes it would rev real quick.

I've not argued the lighter rods were stronger. They were not. But I have not seen many rods that "just failed" without outside influences, whether they were the light or heavy ones. .

Well thanks for all the insight on this 318 truck engine. I'm a gonna have to be thinking what to do
with it now.

It won't get scrapped.

-
Back