69 340 swinger 4 speed conversion

-

tet68

Reaction score
just bought a 69 340 a 4 speed conversion had been started but notcompleted I think its right to the bell housing and I now need a 4 speed 833 from an a body am I right or wrong the casting on bell housing is 3515734 ithink the transmission which I removed3410995 is it a 3peed or 3 speed od
DSCN0229.JPG

have clutch brake pedal flywheel clutch pressure plat z bar everthing appears in good order anything I need to double check like bearing size

If that center bore is 5-1/8 then it may not work. That bore was introduced in 75. Earlier trannies, including 69, have a pilot bore of 4.35. You should be able to Google that casting number for more info. If you are using the 833 OD trans then a 5-1/8 is the one to use.

If that center bore is 5-1/8 then it may not work. That bore was introduced in 75. Earlier trannies, including 69, have a pilot bore of 4.35. You should be able to Google that casting number for more info. If you are using the 833 OD trans then a 5-1/8 is the one to use.
hello did you find a 833 transmission let me know I have one that is ready to put in its one from a 70 a body I bought it for my Daytona rwd build im getting started on changed my mind on transmission I got a built 727.Pm me your email and I can send you pics of the transmission.The person I bought it from said it was gone thru so I took the side cover off to check it out and he was right it had been gone thru very clean inside looks like new.Asking $500 plus shipping

hello did you find a 833 transmission let me know I have one that is ready to put in its one from a 70 a body I bought it for my Daytona rwd build im getting started on changed my mind on transmission I got a built 727.Pm me your email and I can send you pics of the transmission.The person I bought it from said it was gone thru so I took the side cover off to check it out and he was right it had been gone thru very clean inside looks like new.Asking $500 plus shipping
found an a body transmisson shifter and linkage last weekend

The bellhousing is correct part number and will have the small bearing retainer hole, which is what all small block NON OD 4 speeds came with.

If you are going Tranny shopping, I highly recommend a 3.09-1.91-1.39-1.00
This will get your 340 off the line pretty good with 3.23s. The first gear has 16% more torque multiplication, about equal to 2 rear gear sizes. If you get stuck with a 2.66 low, you would need 3.73s to equal the 3.09 x 3.23.
And 3.73s are none too hiway friendly.
The 3.09 low box is not a direct fit, tho, as I think they only come with a Ball & Trunnion output, requiring a replacement mainshaft and tailhousing

If you have an A833 with an overdrive, I call it a 3+1; but everybody else calls it an 833-od. Your 340 will not like this box, unless you put a 2bbl cam into it.The ratios are very far apart, and 340 cams are not revered for their torquiness.lol IMO it is the wrong box for a hi-rpm engine
I've been there,done that; and I ain't going back.

-
Back