69 Barracuda - changing from manual to power steering

-

evil66

evil66
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at swapping the power steering from one of my barracudas to the other car that has manual steering.

Can anyone let me know besides the steering box , lines, pump etc what else needs to be changed (is the column different, if so can I just change to shaft , is the pitman arm different or any other suspension / steering components?)

Thanks for any advice.

power steering shafts shorter. You can disassemble collumn and change shaft only.

I put Power Steering on my 67 Cuda. The box just bolts the same place as manual. I bought a rubber universal joint cover which I would recommend. The stock ones are a real pain as the tabs to hold it together like to come loose or break off if you touch them. I would changer the steering column as PS columns are shorter. It was a pain for the hoses as I have 1 7/8" W2 Headers from TTI which fit but are tight. You should not have that problem with stock exhaust manifolds. Send me a PM if you want more info. Is you car right hand drive?

Thanks for the responses guys, was hoping it might be as simple as swapping the inner shaft and not the whole column out.

Car is still left hand drive and has tti 1 5/8" step headers for the W2 heads so probably won't be as easy as stock manifolds.

Thanks for the offer of being able to contact you Ted, as I get into swapping things I will if I get stuck with it.

I changed out the shaft in a column from a power shaft to manual shaft in a 69 Barracuda column in the past so you can go the opposite way.

-
Back