69 barracuda grille surrounds repop

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
Ordered a pair of repop outer grille surrounds for my sons 69 cuda today. They are coming from PG classic. They have a 25% sale thru july 29th. Sale code Shine18 wnded up $544.78 shipped. A lot of money i know, but cheaper than the retail of $750 have seen em for everywhere else. I have bought from PG before. Never had a problem with their parts before.

Hoping these fit well with my repaired oem plastic surrounds. Will keep everybody posted how they fit. In case any of you are looking for these.

Ordered a pair of repop outer grille surrounds for my sons 69 cuda today. They are coming from PG classic. They have a 25% sale thru july 29th. Sale code Shine18 wnded up $544.78 shipped. A lot of money i know, but cheaper than the retail of $750 have seen em for everywhere else. I have bought from PG before. Never had a problem with their parts before.

Hoping these fit well with my repaired oem plastic surrounds. Will keep everybody posted how they fit. In case any of you are looking for these.
I'll be interested to see how they fit. Haven't heard anything good about the repops. hopefully they finally have a good product.

I have ordered from PG Classics many times...never an issue with the parts...I have had issues with the shipping cost here in Canada by them...rip off in that regard. Waiting to hear your review on the parts!

Please do let us know. Would be a lot cheaper to buy good repros than to get pitted originals redone.

Hopefully you can trial fit before the discount ends. If not I may order them anyway and cancel if you end up returning yours due to "no fit"
Thanks for posting

Well the discount sale ends tomorrow at midnight sale code is Shine18. I just ordered them this morning. Prob wont see them for a week or so. You can always buy and return them.

Last edited:
Their shipping costs are pretty skewered though. I payed them $28 to ship those surrounds. Not too bad i'm thinking because they are coming from Canada to Texas. Anyhoo i'm thinking i got some extra in my paypal, let me hit em up for more stuff i need for both cars. So i selected the pair of hood mount turn signals, chrome rear armrest bases, 2 sets of the door jamb rear door side rubber ,and 2 sets of quarter window jamb rubber. These smaller items hit the minimum to score the 25% and indeed i got the 25% off. But then they wanted $48 to ship these items. They would require a smaller box than the trims i just ordered so i dont get how the heck they came up with that. I would have expected maybe $25, but not damn near $50 shipping. I decided to pass on these parts at this time.

Unless they fixed it, one of the passenger side studs is in the wrong location.

Nothing a drill into plastic cant fix, and a cut, move, and reweld the tab on the header panel. If thats a ll thats wrong with these, and they fit my oem plastics, thats what I will be doing

Nothing a drill into plastic cant fix, and a cut, move, and reweld the tab on the header panel. If thats a ll thats wrong with these, and they fit my oem plastics, thats what I will be doing

Plastic? Outer grille surround is pot metal yes? Or I am confusing something.

If you are saying redrill the plastic housing and relocate the U shaped opening on the header then ok. The plastic already has the hole as one side is the flattened dummy to hold the surround. The other side just lets the stud pass through. The header needs addressing though.

If I remember it is the lower stud toward the nose that was misplaced.

Last edited:
I cant seem to get that code to work. If it would, the complete grill kit would be 1300 and change, not a bad deal. I will probably repair my plastic and find some rings someday. :thumbsup:

Got these today. Took some time to unpack them, appear to be decent. Chrome looks very nice. Tried them on a set of repaired OEM plastics. Studs all appear to be in thecorrect places. Holes in the plastics need to be filed a little to allow the pins to fit better. Oem ones fit about the same as these. I mean this stuff was designed in 1968 for 1969 the factory ones fit like crap as well IMHO. When i get the chance to fit them better i will report back.

Got these today. Took some time to unpack them, appear to be decent. Chrome looks very nice. Tried them on a set of repaired OEM plastics. Studs all appear to be in thecorrect places. Holes in the plastics need to be filed a little to allow the pins to fit better. Oem ones fit about the same as these. I mean this stuff was designed in 1968 for 1969 the factory ones fit like crap as well IMHO. When i get the chance to fit them better i will report back.

Double check the lower right side surround stud at the nose. They were originally incorrect. Maybe they fixed it. The left surround was fine.

Well heres the verdict. The diecast grille surrounds will work with OEM plastics. I have a lot of experience making "chicken salad out of chicken ****" though, so i made them work. The chrome is very nice on these. no defects in the chrome. Very happy with this part of the surrounds. The wonky stud however is still in the RH surround. Not a problem for me, as i will just add a sheetmetal tab to the header panel. Rest of the grille in the pic needs restoration work. I am just getting it all together to put in storage. Wanted to fit these so i could sleep at night knowing they fit or return em if they didnt, and wouldent be chasing my tail later on.

So heres the rundown if you want to use these.

1. locating pins for steel turn signal brackets on bottom side are off. Like way off ! I welded up the holes on the brackets, ground em flat and moved them. You could just grind the locating pins off and leave em that way too.

2. RH surround upper inboard mounting stud is on wrong side of locating pin. I drilled the plastic for the pin, and will locate sheetmetal tab on the header panel for the new location.

3. locating pins on the inboard and outboard sides do not line up at all with the holes in the plastic. I radiused the plastic letting them just "float" where they are at. These radiuses cannot be seen from the front side, and takes some stresses out of the plastic.

4. Plastic did not fit well inside the trim at upper inboard end on the RH surround. A fair amount of grinding on the plastic face side made it fit better inside the surround, and grinding on the back side of the plastic where it fits against the car body was required in this area as well. You can see that grinding on the mating flange of the plastic in pic #4.

5. Plastic did not fit well under LH trim at outboard and inboard ends requiring some grinding of the plastic to get it to tuck into the diecast surround.

The plastics that i am using i have repaired, and were pretty broken up when i rebuilt them. This may have been part of some of these problems but not all of them. Locating pins in the wrong place, and a mounting stud in the wrong place is not an issue with repaired grille plastics.

My consensus is these will work if your patient with filing and fitting to get them to work, and If like solitare its the only game in town. However If you have really good condition originals keep them, and get em rechromed, or if your car is a concours resto best to keep your originals and reuse.

This all being said, I am overall happy with the results. However even at a discounted price, these shouldent be this high in price if your acting as the prototyper, and have to go through this much trouble to make them work.

I would also recommend making up good ground wires from the turn signal mounting brackets to the radiator support. Reason being is they are originally attached to the surrounds with the diecast peened over them like a rivet. The surrounds studs carry the ground to the body. After having to clearance the brackets to fit you will likely not get a decent ground path for the lights to work. I will run ring terminals off the studs on the backs of the lights to the headlight ground holes on the rad support.

I contacted PG classic and explained that i made these work for my application, but they arent correct. Lots of problems they shouldent have. They asked me to send pix of the issues i was having, said nobody ever contacted them about this so they were not aware. I told them i can make stuff work, but shouldent have to, and that other people will just send these back.

Hope this helps some of you out.

Matt

20180810_151755.jpg

20180810_151800.jpg

20180810_151804.jpg

20180810_151818.jpg

20180810_152052.jpg

20180810_152100.jpg

20180810_140956.jpg

Last edited:
Good review!!!!

You can make them work but they are not right!

Not sure about the ground strap reference as mine were always from one of the marker light studs and pal nut with eye terminals to the radiator support. I have not changed mine and they were always eye terminals on either end. They are a little cracked in the insulation but solid.

Good post. I went through the exact problems 2 years ago. That’s bull when they say no one has ever had problems before. After trying to make them fit properly, I sent em back for a refund. I found a chrome shop that was able to fix the broken mounting studs and rechrome my original ones, for less than the reproductions.

Good post. I went through the exact problems 2 years ago. That’s bull when they say no one has ever had problems before. After trying to make them fit properly, I sent em back for a refund. I found a chrome shop that was able to fix the broken mounting studs and rechrome my original ones, for less than the reproductions.

Great you found someone to do that. It is hard to find folks that fix the real stuff and make it right. I think most who have purchased these found their own solutions and were just to disappointed to give the feedback.

Yep it sucks. It is what it is though. I am good at making chicken salad outta chicken **** !! I think these qualify for that remark. If i had to though, i'd use em again. This isnt an M code concourse resto. Its a 318 auto on the floor base model that we are going to make into a nice weekend ride. The stuff i modded on the plastics, and the signal brackets is not visible once its all mounted so i dont really care.

I work on aircraft sheetmetal structures for a living. Doing what i do for a living as a sheetmetal mechanic, you learn that hardly anything ever fits. You always have to work it to get it to fit. So you file here, and there, clearance here and there. Test fit, remove, file some more here and there etc. And keep rechecking until they drop in place like they are supposed to. Is it a *****? Sure it is. But where i'm at, solitare is the only game in town, i got a good deal on em at $544 shipped. I would be a bit more miffed if i payed $700 for em and had to do all this.

In the end they are useable pieces, you just have to work a little harder to get there with them.

Last edited:
Good review!!!!

You can make them work but they are not right!

Not sure about the ground strap reference as mine were always from one of the marker light studs and pal nut with eye terminals to the radiator support. I have not changed mine and they were always eye terminals on either end. They are a little cracked in the insulation but solid.
This car was missing the whole front clip. My intention was jumpers off the stud off the back of each light, to radiator support grounds. Wasnt sure if those existed from the factory or not. I was going on the assumption that the brackets grounded through the diecast surrounds, and into the header panel thru the stamped nuts.

Can you measure the length of yours, wire color, gage etc, so i can make up a set for these grilles?

They didnt say nobody ever had problems with these before, they only stated nobody ever contacted them with this. I took pix of oem and theirs as well as what had to be done to get them to work. They stated they would be in touch with me on this, and would call me back. Time will tell. I told em i really wanted to help them get these right. Not for me, as i corrected the issue myself, but for other folks who cant fix stuff like this and need a bolt together deal.

This car was missing the whole front clip. My intention was jumpers off the stud off the back of each light, to radiator support grounds. Wasnt sure if those existed from the factory or not. I was going on the assumption that the brackets grounded through the diecast surrounds, and into the header panel thru the stamped nuts.

Can you measure the length of yours, wire color, gage etc, so i can make up a set for these grilles?

Sure!

Wire is black with uninsulated ring connectors and the length is roughly 6.5 inches terminal end to terminal end.

-
Back