69 barracuda hood turn indicators

-

iw378

Reaction score
O.K fellas, before I totally demolish mine, Whats the trick to get these things to work. Mine do not work. Here is what I have done so far, removed them from hood, hooked the wire to 12 volt power and grounded the housing, nothing. I am guessing that the bulbs are shot. There is a knurled sleeve where the wire goes into. Does this just unscrew to allow removal of the bulb ? I want these to work.

i just rebuilt the hood indicators on my 68 cuda. these things are a nightmare - i hope you are good with delicate things and have a lot of patience. i think the 69 lamps are like the 68. first thing is to spay some WD40 on the sleeve under the housing and let it sit for a least 30 minutes. this sleeve does unscrew from the bulb assembly but it is probably very rusty. the bulb and the inner plastic amber indicator is one piece. the bottom plate of this light has a small rivet that holds it to the chrome housing. if you cannot get the sleve to unscrew you will have to grind off that rivet and take the entire assembly apart. when i took my lights apart the mini bulb in the housing was rusted and was not making good electrical contact. you can now buy those bulbs on ebay which i did. i sanded off the inside of the bulb housing and cleaned all contacts and inserted the new bulbs. my light worked fine after all this work.

these are NOT easy things to rebuild but you can do it. if you have further questions let me know and i'll try to help you out.
jim coster

Thanks for the info. I'll start messing with them this week and let you know how it goes. Fingers crossed.
Luke

I got them taken apart today and did not break anything. I tested the bulbs
with a 12 volt power source and to my surprise they both worked. I assume these ground through the housing. They do not work with 12 volts at the pos pimple on the bulb and a clip lead at the mounting stud. So I think I'll clean up and solder the rivet ti the metal plate and that should fix that. One of my lenses is broken. Is there a place to get a new lens from.
Luke

-
Back