69 Barracuda Rear Sway Bar Questions.

-

TimS

Reaction score
I have a Formula S 383 car that has a rear sway bar. Could these cars get a rear sway bar from the factory or am I looking at an aftermarket piece?

What is the correct way to position/set one of these up?

Thanks.

NO REAR SWAY bar...........lets see some pics of this 383-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO REAR SWAY bar...........lets see some pics of this 383-S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM002778.JPG

IM002777.JPG

IM002793.JPG

You did not mention this in your other posts!!

Tim when you post about issues you really need to tell it all! The folks here are very knowledgable but can only help when all the information is forthcoming! Believe me!

You did not mention this in your other posts!!

Tim when you post about issues you really need to tell it all! The folks here are very knowledgable but can only help when all the information is forthcoming! Believe me!

Just trying to get my sway bar set back up correctly after working on the leaf spring shake out of the hole. I had unhooked it trying to eliminate possible issues. It was rubbing against the back of the housing.

The set-up is pretty straightforward. They clamp to the axle, and the end links connect to the frame somewhere, usually to a u-strap. But I were concerned about my launch, I wouldn't run a rear sway bar at all. They are meant for road racing, essentially, and not really needed for a street car unless you are into the Pro Touring approach. You want to be very careful not to induce any pre-load when tightening up the end links, or it will effectively increase your rear spring rate overall, which will hurt weight transfer.

The set-up is pretty straightforward. They clamp to the axle, and the end links connect to the frame somewhere, usually to a u-strap. But I were concerned about my launch, I wouldn't run a rear sway bar at all. They are meant for road racing, essentially, and not really needed for a street car unless you are into the Pro Touring approach. You want to be very careful not to induce any pre-load when tightening up the end links, or it will effectively increase your rear spring rate overall, which will hurt weight transfer.

The shake I get at launch is why I unhooked the sway bar, just to take that out of the mix. I noticed that when the rear goes to a positive angle that the sway bar is obviously going with it as the axle housing rotates, thus pushing on the end links.

Just trying to get my sway bar set back up correctly after working on the leaf spring shake out of the hole. I had unhooked it trying to eliminate possible issues. It was rubbing against the back of the housing.

Point I had was you mentioned everything was stock!
If it has an anti sway bar installed on the rear what else is not as stock?

Last edited:
Point I had was you mentioned everything was stock!
If it has an anti sway bar installed on the rear what else is not as stock?

Good point. I didn't know that sway bar wasn't stock. Could be other stuff I don't know about as well. I'm going to jump back over to my drive train thread and my clutch discussion. I'm still shaking at standing start. Thanks all for the sway bar info.

-
Back