69 Bucket seat question

-

69GT

Reaction score
I'm putting the bucket seats back in my 69 Dart and have a question. I took the seats apart years ago to restore them and now that I have them back together I'm wondering if I may have installed the tracks on the opposite seats. With both seats all the way back, the passenger seat sits a little forward of the driver seat. Is this normal or do you think I might have the tracks on the opposite sides?

I'm putting the bucket seats back in my 69 Dart and have a question. I took the seats apart years ago to restore them and now that I have them back together I'm wondering if I may have installed the tracks on the opposite seats. With both seats all the way back, the passenger seat sits a little forward of the driver seat. Is this normal or do you think I might have the tracks on the opposite sides?
Check the holes in the tracks that you used when bolting the tracks back on to the seats.

As A56 said, the track release handle is on the outside track

Just went through this with my Road Runner, there is a left and right for it. Not sure on the A Body. I would have to see pictures of your tracks set out to identify.

Just went through this with my Road Runner, there is a left and right for it. Not sure on the A Body. I would have to see pictures of your tracks set out to identify.
Same for A-Body.

See the pic.

Note the seat release arm position on the left track for driver side. Its on the right side for passenger seat.

1715446855258.png

Passenger outside...................
1715448599214.png

Passenger inside............
1715448750236.png

Passenger bottom...............
1715448978464.png

The tracks are tapered on the inside. The release arms on the driver's side face forward. On the passenger side, to the rear. The wire adjustment strap on the passenger side is longer to make up the lever reversal. On my repros, I used a tyrap to make up the difference. Factory passenger side should have a longer strap.

20240511_123900.jpg

Obviously, the seat release handle is on the outside track. That's not what I'm asking. What I wanted to know is if the tracks would still work properly if they were installed on the opposite seat by mistake. On my seats, right now as they are in the car, the driver side release knob moves forward to release the seat and the passenger knob moves rearward. What I was getting at was if the track with the release knob on the driver seat were installed on the passenger seat and visa versa what would be the result? Would the seats be out of position if they were both all the way forward or all the way back and would they still function properly? CRUZE 418, I'll check the direction of the release arms as you mentioned.

Trying to understand your question.

You can't install the outside track from the passenger side on the driver side. the release handle would be facing inside rather than outside rendering it unusable.

You could install the passenger tracks on the driver seat but the seat back release would be next to the console rather than next to the door.

Okay, my drivers seat releases to the rear, passenger release is forward. Again, mine are reproduction tracks and my be different. In this picture, I believe the taller taper in the track is forward on the inside track, that would match the outside track. I have not had these seats in the car yet, I am assuming that will match the floor, maybe it's the other way around. Travel forward and back seems to be the same. I have an old race car, brought back to the street, it had another mfr seats in it that were total junk. So I am guessing on this too. Sorry!

20240511_135850.jpg

No, it can face the outside, the taper is just wrong for tilt of the seat. I just don't know which way is correct. Depends on the floor pan. I can't check this at this time.

Easy way to tell; the seats will automatically move forward if installed correctly and backwards if installed incorrectly. Its all about the spring strech, they strech while being pushed and are relaxed in the forward position.

Screenshot_20240511_154243_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240511_154236_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back