69 cuda 440 vs Hedman Shorty's

-

3yearcuda

Reaction score
I have searched for info in many threads but come up empty. I have a 69 barracuda with 440 and power steering. Was a 318 so i'm using the Schumacher SB to RB kit. They have headers of thier own but seem a tad pricey. I have read, i believe in Mopar Muscle, that the Hedman shorty PN 780070 will work well for this conversion. Can anyone tell me if they used these headers with this type of set up? Thanks.

78070.gif

I have searched for info in many threads but come up empty. I have a 69 barracuda with 440 and power steering. Was a 318 so i'm using the Schumacher SB to RB kit. They have headers of thier own but seem a tad pricey. I have read, i believe in Mopar Muscle, that the Hedman shorty PN 780070 will work well for this conversion. Can anyone tell me if they used these headers with this type of set up? Thanks.

I read an article in one of the magazines and don't remember which one. There was a problem with clearence for the idler arm and the collector dropped right in likne with the torsion bars. I'll try and find the artcle and either send an online link or confirm what I read. Also without checking if I'm right I think those headers are for a b-body car. Get back with ya.

If its the article I'm thinking about it was in Mopar Action. They installed them in a b body with a 383. I know the Schu's are not cheap (got the cancelled check to prove it) but they fit and don't leak.

If its the article I'm thinking about it was in Mopar Action. They installed them in a b body with a 383. I know the Schu's are not cheap (got the cancelled check to prove it) but they fit and don't leak.

Dusterdon is right...and it used to be on Schumachers web site but now it says Hedman install omitted. I did look up that part number on Summit and they are b-body headers. I bought a set of Schumacher headers for my Duster. It took about 45 minutes to put them on. Its still in putting it back together stage.

Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit handy with the mig, so i think i'll do a bit of cutting and fabricating if need be. I like the idea of shorties as long headers may be harder to modify. The Schumachers are beautiful, and I may end up going that way some day. It's just that i can use up a lot of wire and argon for the price of them. My tune may be changed after i see what work i have to do.

Well, it changed. My mind that is, when I held those Hedmans close to that big 440 in that little A-body. There was no way without a ton of fabrication. I bit the bullet and bought the Schumachers. I have the power steering box, so dont let em fool you and put your 440 in first, then expect them to slide in, cause they wont. I had to hover the engine above the mounts, slide the headers on lower down then do up the mount nuts/bolts. Sweet once thier in. Tight but room for everything. A friend of mine with the Hedmans, a mig and experience, tried but after cutting them apart threw in the towel and called the Schumacher hot line.

-
Back