69 Cuda Heat / AC fresh air intake alternative?

-

69KillerFish

Reaction score
Many years ago while I was restoring my Cuda, I decided to close over the antenna hole and slotted air intake area just below the windshield wipers to give a more custom and smoother look for the hood. In hindsight, maybe not the smartest thing to do but I really like the look. I am now pondering an alternative way to introduce fresh air into the heat & a/c system. Anybody have any creative solutions?

I would be interested in how you closed off the slotted area. When I bought my '69 Cuda it took me an hour to dig out all the CR@P that had gotten lodged in the drain areas of the fresh air/cowl area. I live in south texas, there is "NO FRESH AIR"...only 95/100 degree air with 95 percent humidity. Use A/C most of the year. All the cowl/vent area is good for is a darn good place for rust to begin. But to answer your question....there are cars like the 57 chevy that had a duct system that came from the front of the car through the inner fender area (in the engine compartment) and into the cowl for ventilation. I have a friend who has one of the systems in his garage. He removed it off a 57 chevy and plans to sell it. But, it's probably too big for the cuda. Either way you could run a vent tube maybe 4" in dia from the grill through the radiator support over the fender (in the engine compartment) directly to the firewall into the cowl area. Just make sure you put a drain system into the duct to keep water from reaching the cowl to minimize rust.. LET'S SEE SOME PICS OF YOUR MODIFICATION!!!

PS- If I were doing this to my Cuda I would get or make a duct that is oval or oblong so that it lays flat against the inner fender. A round duct wouldn't look very sexy!!
Treblig

If you know where the water and debris is supposed to drain at the end of the cowl, that would be my first effort. It is behind the splash shield so it wouldn't get too much engine bay gasses. I'm not sure how much space is available there without modifying the sheet metal. Custom tubing from OEM intake holes over through the end of the cowl and then straight down 4 inches or so. Some sort of screen on the lower end to keep critters out.
Since we're on this topic... I never wanted to completely delete the cowl opening on my fish. I just want to reduce its size to 2 smaller openings in line with the hood medallions. Later model Roadrunners and the like had only 2 smaller openings so I know this could work.
I dream of cabin air filters in the cowl too.

In the pic you see both Chevy headlights. If you look closely, just above the headlights there is a dark area divided by a thin chrome piece. Those two small dark areas are black metal vents where air comes into the forced air induction system for the cowl.
Pretty cool (in more than one way)
Treblig

Attachments

• images[1].jpg
    14 KB · Views: 123
Here's a pic of the actual headlight trim. You can see the metal grille where the air comes in.
I love Mopars but that was pretty ingenious. There must be a tremendous amount of air pressure in the area when you're driving down the road.
treblig

Attachments

• shopping[1].jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 156
I would be interested in how you closed off the slotted area. When I bought my '69 Cuda it took me an hour to dig out all the CR@P that had gotten lodged in the drain areas of the fresh air/cowl area. I live in south texas, there is "NO FRESH AIR"...only 95/100 degree air with 95 percent humidity. Use A/C most of the year. All the cowl/vent area is good for is a darn good place for rust to begin. But to answer your question....there are cars like the 57 chevy that had a duct system that came from the front of the car through the inner fender area (in the engine compartment) and into the cowl for ventilation. I have a friend who has one of the systems in his garage. He removed it off a 57 chevy and plans to sell it. But, it's probably too big for the cuda. Either way you could run a vent tube maybe 4" in dia from the grill through the radiator support over the fender (in the engine compartment) directly to the firewall into the cowl area. Just make sure you put a drain system into the duct to keep water from reaching the cowl to minimize rust.. LET'S SEE SOME PICS OF YOUR MODIFICATION!!!

PS- If I were doing this to my Cuda I would get or make a duct that is oval or oblong so that it lays flat against the inner fender. A round duct wouldn't look very sexy!!
Treblig

Thanks for the advice. The tube duct work sounds interesting. I will have to take a closer look where the water drains also. To answer your question, while the car was in the body shop, the vent fins were cut out and a custom shaped piece of sheet metal was welded into place and then the welds were ground down. I am currently looking for my box of timeline resto photos. I will let you know when I find them.

Thanks for the advice. The tube duct work sounds interesting. I will have to take a closer look where the water drains also. To answer your question, while the car was in the body shop, the vent fins were cut out and a custom shaped piece of sheet metal was welded into place and then the welds were ground down. I am currently looking for my box of timeline resto photos. I will let you know when I find them.

The drains are on either side of the cowl duct area. You can actually see the drain holes if you look (with your hood open) at the area near the rear part of the fender (SEE PICS). You'll see two holes, one round hole and one half round hole. The half round hole is where water will drain once it get in through the slotted vents on top by the windshield. The big round hole makes it easier to clean out the smaller hole because all kinds of stuff gets trapped in there (bird feathers, small tree twigs/sticks, leaves, pennys, etc). Once the hole is plugged (like mine was) the stuff gets wet and stays wet. We all knows what happens next???? I plan to paint some undercoat in this area later now that I've cleaned it out.
But that's not enough....anyone who has cleaned out these rats nests will also find tons of stuff (40 years worth) packed into the lower fender area where all the junk ends up after years of driving. Once you start cleaning the lower fender area you're not going to believe how much stuff is there rotting your fender away (POOR DESIGN!!!). Many Mopar (Cuda) owners know how these cars rot near the lower rear front fender area...THIS IS WHY!!

Hope this helps!!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02636.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC02633.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC02635.JPG
    84 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC02634.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 155
Thanks for the detailed photoes! I have never noticed these openings before. I will start prowling around this weekend and see what I can find.

How far into your project are you?

Thanks for the detailed photoes! I have never noticed these openings before. I will start prowling around this weekend and see what I can find.

How far into your project are you?

Yes, you'll need a scribe, a piece of heavy wire (.040" -060") and a flash light and Patience!!! After I cleaned out these drain holes I used compressed air to blow through the vent slots in the cowl forcing more junk over to the drain holes. You will be very angry (I was) when you see how much stuff there is in the lower fender unless someone else has cleaned it recently. There should be a clean passage through the bottom of the fender (kinka under the car but towards the inner frame). This hole doesn't point straight down, it angles toward the inside of the car.

My project is pretty complete as far as the car body goes. I've put big ('73 charger) disc brakes on it, one inch anti-sway in front, 3/4 inch in the back, ported 302 casting heads (SS valves), 360 mag truck exhaust (pass) with 340 driver's side. Power brakes, 500 watt stereo system, 2 1/2 twice pipes with crossover, edelbrock intake and carb, electronic ignition, headlight relays, after market gauges under the A/C unit, spring relocation and 7 leaf 3 inch lift springs. Electric driver's seat, custom arm rest, rear shoulder harnesses with custom head rest for back seat. I have two 10" subs mounted to a custom board I mounted behind the rear seat w 4 more smaller speakers front and rear. I built a metal frame that attaches to the rear seat bolts and supports the rear head rest, shoulder harnesses and the amp/speakers etc.

I'm currently working on building a 2004R transmission. I already have the TCI adapter and everything else ready to bolt together. I have a set of 4.10 gears to install after I put the tranny into the car. If you haven't seen my 2004R thread, here it is. Just posted new stuff today.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252436
treblig

Attachments

• DSC02208.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC01629.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC01625.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC01626.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC01624.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 121
Forgot pics of the arm rest I made.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02504.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC02506.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02507.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC02508.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC02509.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02510.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC02511.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 123
Well done, it looks like you put a lot of thought into this. Your pics of the interior blew me away! Love the color scheme. The rear seat headrest and the arm rest is amazing. Your upgrade to the electric drivers seat is a very nice idea. I have always toyed with the upgrade to my brakes. I have no power brakes and 10" drums all way around. It gets scarey sometimes.

-
Back