'69 Cuda wiring question. PLEASE!

-

QWK FSH

Reaction score
I have a small issue on my hands, I bought a under dash wiring harness advertised as a 68/69 Cuda. Well there are a couple of differences between mine, a 68, and this one.

In terms of the bulk head connector, position "U" could someone please tell me where this goes both in terms of the interior and the engine compartment. My old harness has nothing in this position and the 68 shop manual shows nothing as well. :angry7:

Also, is there a wiring diagram on-line somewhere. I don't want to buy another manual just for this...

Thank you so much! :happy10:

I dont know where position U is but I do know one of the most common diffferences between 68 and 9 is power washer pump.

Look on http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

According to this, the 68 parking light wiring comes out from z connector and the 69 comes out of the u connector. 68 shows dark green with trace coming from the z connector to the side marker and then black with yellow trace to the parking lights from the side marker connector. Looks like 69 did not have functional side marker wiring and came out of the u connector directly to the parking lights.

The under dash harness I purchased matches up perfectly with my old one both in term of connections and colors the wiper switch. I never tried the pump feature before I tore her apart. Am I correct in thinking to make her squirt I push the knob in? I tried to bench test the pump feature today of the switch but I couldn't get the light to glow. Maybe that part is out in the swith?

Thank you for that site.

I was hoping you would say it was a heavy green wire with a white trace since my old harness has that in the Z postion where the new harness has a blank for Z.

CRAP! I'm so not a wiring guy! I need plug and play when it comes to this!!!!!!!

Well it is plug n play. They just change the plugs around to keep you on your toes and make the play more exciting.

I'll look on my 68 tomorrow.e mail me for a reminder, [email protected] i kinda wonder if the hood mounted turnsignal indicators go to the bulkhead conector? I'll let ya know.

Looks like on a 68 the left ones (black/lt green tr) come out of the s connector and the right (black/tan tr) come out of the v connector.

Mapped out my '68 bulkhead positions:

S: Twin lite greens. Left hood mounted T/S & Front park lamp/T/S

V: Twin black w/ tan trace. Right hood mounted T/S & Front park lamp/T/S

Z: Goes to the left side marker lamp then continues to the right side.

I'll keep pluggin away at her. Thanks all!

Well I spent a fair amount of my day working on the harness. From my best effort I have determined I should take the wire from the U position and put it in the Z posistion. We'll see soon if that was the correct thing to do.lol...

run a continuity test to determine EXACTLY where each wire leads to on both harnesses.

run a continuity test to determine EXACTLY where each wire leads to on both harnesses.

Wire for wire, connector to connector the harnesses were the same. The only difference I could see was the reverse lights. My harness is a column shift, I believe the new harness is a floor shift which is fine since I plan to convert mine to floor shift.

In the new harness I only needed to reposition the U bulkhead wire to the Z postition as my old dash harness had lighting in the Z position. From what I could tell the new harness had this circuit in the U position. Moving it to Z should solve that issue.

When I'm done with this project I don't plan to hook up the battery w/o first putting a test light to a battery post and touching the clip to the battery cable terminal. If all is good the light should do nothing, If there is a draw of some sort the light should come on.

Hopefully I'm going down the right path.

-
Back