69 Dart 340 Info Needed

-

sinister

Reaction score
Hi all I am getting a 69 dart with 340 in a week and would like to know some general info on it..I have never owned a dart but have wanted one since I was about 7 years old and im now 27..So if any one can help me with some general info I should know please do.such as the pros and cons to the 340 motor vs the 440 and some info that I should know about the 340 motor and so on..Thanks very much...Steve

it all depends on what you are looking for just a mild 340 is more than enough for a dart and you can always go up from mild the 340 will make for better handling easier steering especially in the tight corners easier stopping etc etc. a healthy 340 can put out a lot of power and really be an all around better street/strip car in most respects but a 440 is just bad *** in all reality overkill for an a body but cool as hell like i said though it will be very nose heavy and require a lot of upgrades suspension brakes cooling system different trans, probably driveshaft and quite a few other things i know im forgetting but a healthy big block in an a body there is nothing cooler in my opinion but that is just me most guys like small blocks here just cause its a little simpler install in our cars and more than enough power for them as well so its all up to you and what you really want good luck Justin

I've owned 340 cars for a long time and my 69 Dart 340 4 speed car since 1987. I have also owned and driven 440 and 383 cars. The 340 Dart is a nice package, light and nimble(can be improved immensely), powerful, and good looking. Throw a hot 440 in a Dart and you have a heavier nose and changes in steering, braking, and of course acceleration.
440 in a B body is a good balance, longer wheel base, heavier, wider...gives it the balance. 44o in a C body...well that provides power and passing acceleration, but it doesn't seem like a powerhouse. HP/Weight ratio.

340's winds up fast(so do 383's)
weigh less(unless you go aluminum parts on the BB)
plenty of parts available still(maybe more than 20 years ago)

I guess I'm partial....my 2 cents

Hi thanks for reply you might think this funny but what is a mild 340? Thanks..Steve

Hi thanks for the reply..I have read most everyone say the 340 is liked by most..And so now im trying to find out what is the best upkeep I could do or small changes to the 340 to give it more HP...So please let me know as if talking to a newbie for I pretty well am..Thanks....Steve

Welcome newbie! Everyone has to start somewhere.I would say FIRST thing to do is try to get as many of the Specifications on the car as it is now from the owner. Such as Cam specifications,heads stock or worked on,type of intake, distributor type, type and size of carb,type of exhaust stock manifolds or headers all those type of things.
Once you know exactly what you have then you decide where you want to go and how to go about getting there. You may be able to do a cam swap,little work on the heads,nice food flowing intake,set of goo headers,have the Distributor worked over for max performance,good carb. For starters things like that. Just be sure to get as much information as you can when you buy the car so you know what you have and which way to go.

Hi thanks for the heads up on that..I will surely get as much info on the dart as I can I didnt think about all that but how do you know what to do without this info..I will post more when I get the car and give the info on it,for then You and others can help more...Steve

Hi guys I am getting a 69 dart with 340 motor and everything is stock in this dart.And i would like some info on what it is I can do to this dart to get more HP and if possable better gas milage..You snickered at the better gass milage didnt you...Well I am just curiouse as if these two things I can do with as little cost involved as possable..I am going to be using the dart for town driving and the acational street race..So if you can help me out as if you were talking to a nebie that would be great...Thanks...Steve

-
Back