69 Dart convertible

-

bumnround

Reaction score
We are going to look at Dart ragtop next weekend and could use some advice. I have and have had a and b bodies in the past so I know the basics of what to look for. Its the convertible part that I am ignorant with. Do rags leak or rust any differently? windshield issues? top and frame pros and cons? up and down mechanisms? Are body and frame strengthened any differently? Any help,tips or comments would be appreciated. I cruz this site almost daily and love it.I feel bad that my input is low but my typing and computer skills are even lower. THANKS FABO Greg and Sandy Fort Erie Ont

I want to bump this up for you, Greg and Sandy, because some of the convertable owners might not have seen it yet. I believe convertables had stiffeners (torque boxes) welded forward of the leaf springs. From what I have read about convertables on FABO, a lot of the trim is different, maybe even the windshield. Try posting your question in the general MoPar question topic; you might get a quicker response there. Good luck with your potential purchase.

Verts rust in the same places as any a-body. Aditional issues will be found under the belt moulding where the top boot snaps on. Below that is a body piece with tack strip bolted on it. The top skin is anchored there. If it got plenty of rain in it over the years you'll find not just the common floor rust but the seat tracks and understructure of the rear seat bottom rusted too.
Anything can be fixed so long as it's all there.

Thanks for the input. Are the torque boxes at front of spring perch like what they did with hemi b-bodies?

most of the underside vert stuff is really obvious, you will see them as soon as you look. good luck, and happy hunting.

the convertibles have front and rear torque boxes

The chrome a pillar door frame is convertible only

trunk torsion springs are convertible only

Think windshield is same as hardtop - post car is different I think (been many years since I bought mine)

Mine was very solid. The floor and trunk is all original except the trunk 1/4 extensions

Barracuda and Dart convertible have some interchangable parts

Rear interior panels are being reproduced, seen the top latches in Mopar Collector Guide

Mine has a cloth top with glass back window

One thing I had to make was the spring steel wire supports at the end of the tack bow to push the sail panel out so not to rub a hole in the top. I believe this must have been a TSB after the cars were made and warranty issues were starting to cost Chrysler money. I had a retired Chrysler engineer research this and he could not find anything, but I have seen it on many convertibles.

My 67 Barracuda Convertible had rust everywhere, but as said before about the same as hardtop.

Mine does have some rust up in the right rear torque box that still needs repaired. Noticed as I was putting car back together.

If you have any questions send me a PM

I had all but 2 bolts out of my car. The axle bump stops on the rear frame rail are the only think that was left on the shell when we built it.

109.jpg
you can see the rear torque boxes in this picture

lowrseat.JPG

lowIMG_0739.JPG

lowrtfront.JPG

hump1.jpg

I have somewhere the build photo's, but don't think any from under showing torque boxes. If you know what Hemi B Body boxes look like these are about the same. I believe they are repo ing them also.

I have heard of the frame header rusting

do the tops leak, have not had a convertible/T Top car yet that does not leak some, but all the seals are available, fit like crap but available. I ended up using some of the original seals since they were in good shape and fit better than the new ones I bought

109.jpg

lowrseat.JPG

lowIMG_0739.JPG

lowrtfront.JPG

hump1.jpg

Thanks for all the info. Im scared bright yellow,4-gear convertible might get me so excited that I put blinders on to rust and body quality issues. But I guess knowing that will help. Thanks again FABO.

-
Back