69 dart how to convert manual to power steering?

-

Milo3156

Reaction score
I am working on a 69 dart just converted front drums to disc now time to convert to power steering..... While doing this I am also installing headers. Can anyone offer any tips, suggestions, and or instructions?

Thanks!

The easiest way would be find a PS column,then just a box,pump and pitman arm. What engine? spool k frame or original? 6 or 8 cyl?

Has a 383 in it, not sure about k frame.... I have a new pitman arm and bought used steering box and pump

Now you either need a power steering shaft for your column or a whole column assembly for power steering.

Another option is cut your steering joint off, shorten the manual shaft and install a aftermarket steering knuckle.

Now you either need a power steering shaft for your column or a whole column assembly for power steering.

Another option is cut your steering joint off, shorten the manual shaft and install a aftermarket steering knuckle.

How much shorter is the power steering shaft?

6-8" I think. Does your pump have the BB brackets?

What are the "BB Brackets"? I'm assuming i dont have those. Where is the best place to buy a steering column
assembly? That is probably the route i am going to go so i have "tilt".

BB = Big Block. The brackets are different for the SB (small block).

What are the "BB Brackets"? I'm assuming i dont have those. Where is the best place to buy a steering column
assembly? That is probably the route i am going to go so i have "tilt".

Steering columns for Darts show up on Ebay, Craigs List, even on this site.

If you want tilt be prepared to spend some serious money. Flaming River makes them for our cars for $700 or so.

Maybe some used later-model Mopar tilt column could be adapted.

Don't buy this crap about steering columns. It's a collapsible style, and has plastic on the shaft to keep it in place. Just tap the shaft in till you have enough clearance. Put on your p/s only coupler. Line up the master spline, and slide the coupler onto the steering box splines. Tap in the roll pin to keep it on the splines, and you are done.I just got done doing this on my 69 Dart.

Don't buy this crap about steering columns. It's a collapsible style, and has plastic on the shaft to keep it in place. Just tap the shaft in till you have enough clearance. Put on your p/s only coupler. Line up the master spline, and slide the coupler onto the steering box splines. Tap in the roll pin to keep it on the splines, and you are done.I just got done doing this on my 69 Dart.

But isn't that plastic pin their to shear in the event of an accident? Just wondering because I may convert to Power as well.

I went from power to manual on a Dart sport once, and I locked a vice grip on the shaft and pounded it down until it was long enough, not sure of 2 things: 1.) how much splines were left after I pounded it down; wouldn't want that baby coming off while driving... lol.. it worked fine. 2.) I've never did it the opposite way, shortened it

-
Back