69 dart

-

polarbytes

Alaska gold Dart
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so, mods if it is out of place feel free to move it and pound on me, as it's appropriate:violent1:. We are in the process of a rotisserie build on a 70 dart, but progress is slow, so, we went and looked at 69 second owner Dart this weekend. My question is: he is asking $5500, is this a fair price, should we try and lowball, or? We are in Alaska so cars like this are very rare. I have provided some pics. He needs an answer by this Wen., we put a small deposit to hold until then. Appreciate any input. Almost forgot, it is a /6, auto, 71/4, with 98000 miles, needs new gas tank with some bubbling starting to show on rear quarter lips. Engine also has a lot of lifter noise but seller says this is normal with /6.

Attachments

• !cid_27C9D0F2-81D2-4E4B-AF18-7EF298ACE8C1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 175
  • !cid_69A4EE53-C8E6-4E81-9AFD-042B56E5DB8D.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 165
  • !cid_C76CBEC2-9AD7-47B1-AECF-0D77A6736142.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 170
There are alot of variables, like what engine, trans and rear end info would help to value the car. From the pics the body looks very nice. Side mouldings are a little bit of a turn off for me for a Hot Rod car.

Thanks for the quick reply, and yes, I edited the post to reflect some more facts. It's to be daily driver for my son, so he isn't interested in making it a go fast or anything, we are still hammering on the 70 for that.

To bad it's not in the "general section" it would get more responces!

Need moe information though.
How are the subframes, floor boards, the hood hinge area in the engine compartment and bottom of the rear quarters? All areas for rust on these.
Valves most likely need adjusted on the slanty and it would quiet down a bit!

Pictures are hard to get a true hands on of the car. If all the above areas are good and the interior is in decent shape than maybe $4,500.00 to 5k. as I have heard numerous north of the borders guys say, cars are more expensive up there.

It does look real clean though!

Considering where you're located, I'm betting that's a great car for the money. Solid CA darts seem to go for 5k-8k right now if in driving condition with decent paint and a slant six. So if it doesn't require alot of work underneath and can be had for $4500 I would grab it.

if cars are that scarce --then that looks like a great vehicle.
lifter noise could be something as simple as a valve adjustment( it gets overlooked on the slants).

If the bottom side is that clean, then you have found a very nice car for your son.
Besides you already made a deposit !

Let us know when you pick it up -- there are fantastic articles on slantsix.org on engine tune ,Lawrence

Hey, guys, many, many thanks for the quick replies and interest!! We were able to have a thorough look at it, no rust in the trunk, floor pans, rockers, etc., just the minor things like I said in the OP, interior is very good with the exception of the pass. seat which has some minor areas of wear and the radio doesn't work, but everything else is good. So, /6 lifters should not be noisy? Paint is original and looks like it would rub out to a decent shine. Seller claims car gets 18-22mpg. Son doesn't want to rod it, just drive it until we get the 70 done, hopefully by spring of next year, then he says I can have it!, what a good son. 70 is a dart swinger with a bored and stroked 360 and all the usual go fast goodies, we are almost to the paint stage. I guess I should start a thread on the build. Anyway, feel free to take me task or just continue to advise. All is good.

I believe all slants were solid lifter so they're not the quietest of motors. That said, a good tuneup with fresh oil and a valve adjustment will likely quiet them down some.

If they use as much road salt as us,, take a carefull look at the rear spring mounts,, front,, and particularly rears,, where spring mounts attach to frame,, Seems to rot out the frames in that area..

hope it helps

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2f_LciytfA"]Slant 6 Stock Start Up - YouTube[/ame]

it should sound like this video--

I think that motor would quiet down with a valve adjustment. Lawrence

If they use as much road salt as us,, take a carefull look at the rear spring mounts,, front,, and particularly rears,, where spring mounts attach to frame,, Seems to rot out the frames in that area..

hope it helps

I know it sounds strange, given the amount of snow we get, but no one uses road salt up here anymore, but will check those spring mounts

Slant 6 Stock Start Up - YouTube

it should sound like this video--

I think that motor would quiet down with a valve adjustment. Lawrence
,Hey thanks for that vid and that is pretty much what the dart sounds like, so maybe as another poster said, solids are just noisier and all is good. Anyway, thanks for all the comments and I think we are going to go for it.

-
Back