69 dodge dart disk brakes

-

69dartgt*

Reaction score
Asking if 71 boby disk brakes complete with upper and lower control arms will fit a 69 dart?
Also I currently have factory front disk brakes with standard small bolt pattern.

Thanks

Asking if 71 boby disk brakes complete with upper and lower control arms will fit a 69 dart?
Also I currently have factory front disk brakes with standard small bolt pattern.

Thanks
If you mean B-body, the short answer is no. The control arms aren't interchangeable with those on your Dart. Some of the other parts may be used, depending on the combination.

A possible combination using most of the parts you have now include the Dart control arms, using the spacers at this link, which allow the smaller ball joints in the Dart upper control arms to fit the B-body spindles.
Mopar A-Body Upper Ball Joint Tapered Adapter
You could also swap the upper control arms to A-Body parts for '73 and newer that have the larger ball joints. Dr Diff has good prices on new ones ready to install.
You should then be able to use from your B-body parts the lower ball joints, spindle, rotors, calipers, caliper brackets, etc. I'm not sure about the hoses, you might need to investigate that.
If you have a sway bar, it may hit the caliper. Swapping the spindles side to side will move the caliper rearward, but you may encounter other interference.
This swap will gain you little braking ability, if any at all. It would get you the 4.5" lug pattern, if that's what you're looking to do.
There are lots of resources out there for you to read about swaps like this.

Thanks for the response to my question. Primary goal is the larger bolt pattern. Are the original 69
factory disk brake setup still supported with after market pads and rotors?

Thanks for the response to my question. Primary goal is the larger bolt pattern. Are the original 69
factory disk brake setup still supported with after market pads and rotors?

If you're mainly looking to get the large bolt pattern, and already have, or can get the '71 B-body parts inexpensively, it's a pretty good way to go.
If I were going to drive the car hard at all, I'd always thinking about those ball joint spacers, and wondering if I just shouldn't have just got the new control arms with the bigger ball joint. They made them bigger for a reason, and for a little more you get new control arms with zero road fatigue, and with new ball joints and bushings. I've never heard of a failure with the spacers, and I'm sure Dr Diff would never sell anything suspect, but that's just what I would do.
Mopar Upper Control Arms
One other consideration is that the B-body rotors are a little pricey. We've gotten used to cheap rotors, but I haven't found many for this application. Rock Auto shows one Centric rotor in stock at $51.79, then they go to $100+ at Summit, NAPA, etc.
Pads and rotors for the original '69 Kelsey-Hayes discs are available at pretty good prices at the moment. Because they are also used by Mustangs of the era, pads are generally always available. I've found rotor availability to be spotty over the past few years, however. After being disco'd for several years, the rear drums for the '69 are available again. Centric 12363044 are reasonably priced at Summit and Rock Auto. If you're planning using re-drilled axles for the large bolt pattern rear, you may want to grab some of these while you can.
Good luck with your project!

If you're mainly looking to get the large bolt pattern, and already have, or can get the '71 B-body parts inexpensively, it's a pretty good way to go.
If I were going to drive the car hard at all, I'd always thinking about those ball joint spacers, and wondering if I just shouldn't have just got the new control arms with the bigger ball joint. They made them bigger for a reason, and for a little more you get new control arms with zero road fatigue, and with new ball joints and bushings. I've never heard of a failure with the spacers, and I'm sure Dr Diff would never sell anything suspect, but that's just what I would do.
Mopar Upper Control Arms
One other consideration is that the B-body rotors are a little pricey. We've gotten used to cheap rotors, but I haven't found many for this application. Rock Auto shows one Centric rotor in stock at $51.79, then they go to $100+ at Summit, NAPA, etc.
Pads and rotors for the original '69 Kelsey-Hayes discs are available at pretty good prices at the moment. Because they are also used by Mustangs of the era, pads are generally always available. I've found rotor availability to be spotty over the past few years, however. After being disco'd for several years, the rear drums for the '69 are available again. Centric 12363044 are reasonably priced at Summit and Rock Auto. If you're planning using re-drilled axles for the large bolt pattern rear, you may want to grab some of these while you can.
Good luck with your project!

-
Back