69 DODGE DART HOW TO LEVEL THE REAR END

-

jack rodgers

Reaction score
CAR IS LEANING DRIVERS SIDE REAR JACKED BODY UP THAT DOES THE TRICK HOW TO DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM THANKS

First check where the rear leaf springs attach to make sure that the frame is solid and not rusted out...

Several things as noted above can cause this. Pictures would be helpful to pinpoint the culprit.

Do i vaguely remember that the factory springs had an extra leaf on the driver side for driver weight, but if you order superstock springs, the passenger side is actually higher to combat the torque of the engine?
I recall guys purposefully ordering two RH springs so the cars no longer leaned, and actually sat a touch higher on both sides. feel free to correct anything i'm misstating above :)

Several things as noted above can cause this. Pictures would be helpful to pinpoint the culprit.

005.JPG

004.JPG

CAR IS LEANING DRIVERS SIDE REAR JACKED BODY UP THAT DOES THE TRICK HOW TO DO I FIX THIS PROBLEM THANKS

YOU MAY HAVE TO GET THE SPRINGS RE-ARCHED.
I WROTE THIS BIG SO YOU CAN SEE HOW IT LOOKS AS IF I AM SHOUTING AT YOU. :poke:

Its possible its the springs, but first check the rear shackle bushings. A worn out one will affect the height. Then as ScampMike stated, level the front end on known flat ground. Good luck!

Do i vaguely remember that the factory springs had an extra leaf on the driver side for driver weight, but if you order superstock springs, the passenger side is actually higher to combat the torque of the engine?
I recall guys purposefully ordering two RH springs so the cars no longer leaned, and actually sat a touch higher on both sides. feel free to correct anything i'm misstating above :)

I THINK ITS THE LEAF SPRING ON THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR I MAY LIFT THE CAR SO ITS LEVEL IN THE REAR AND WELD THE LEAF SPRINGS

I THINK ITS THE LEAF SPRING ON THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR I MAY LIFT THE CAR SO ITS LEVEL IN THE REAR AND WELD THE LEAF SPRINGS

Welding the leaf springs may not be a good idea, they need to move in relationship to each other as the spring compresses and relaxes....

If the mounting points on the frame are good and solid, then you may need new springs and bushings...

maybe time to look at new springs since yours are only 48 years old. I just replaced mine with Espo from Springs & Things

Welding the leaf springs may not be a good idea

This comment gets my vote for FABO Understatement Of The Day.

maybe time to look at new springs since yours are only 48 years old. I just replaced mine with Espo from Springs & Things

I did the same. The price wasn't too bad and it made the car look and drive noticeably better. As a side note, after I installed them the car was leaning to one side. It turned out the front ride height had been adjusted to compensate for the unevenly sagging leaf springs. Once I reset the front, all was good.

Two other comments:
1. Make extra sure your car is on a level surface when you make those adjustments.
2. You can't necessarily go by the wheel well height above the floor, because the body panels may not be completely straight (and the floor may not be level). For handling, the important thing is the relative positions of the wheels to the suspension, not the body. On the rear wheels you're supposed to check the distance from the axle housing to the rubber bumper above. There's no set distance, but left and right are supposed to be about the same.

Oh, and there's a SHIFT key that does the same as the CAPS LOCK but only for one letter at a time. Check it out. :)

you know that noise when someone is wrong with an answer on Family Feud...?? eeehtttttt...
So, just in case the previous comments weren't clear enough - this is a BAD idea. There is a right way to go about fixing this problem, albeit tedious and potentially expensive - you came on here asking about it to try to find it - right? These old cars develop issues and there are next to none that can't be remedied correctly, welding your leaf springs just ain't it. Please pay attention to the good folks on here that are sharing their knowledge and good advice with you.
Lastly - using all caps is the internet equivalent of yelling... there's no need to yell, we can hear ya. :thumbsup:

Why are you assuming there is a problem? If the previous owner installed SS springs or similar, it's doing exactly what it's designed to do.

you know that noise when someone is wrong with an answer on Family Feud...?? eeehtttttt...
So, just in case the previous comments weren't clear enough - this is a BAD idea. There is a right way to go about fixing this problem, albeit tedious and potentially expensive - you came on here asking about it to try to find it - right? These old cars develop issues and there are next to none that can't be remedied correctly, welding your leaf springs just ain't it. Please pay attention to the good folks on here that are sharing their knowledge and good advice with you.
Lastly - using all caps is the internet equivalent of yelling... there's no need to yell, we can hear ya. :thumbsup:

I understand guys about welding the springs im not 16 yrs old but i have welded springs on another car and it worked out very well, yes i will but new leaf springs and bushings and do it right thank you all for ur info, sorry for yelling at ya

-
Back