69 gts restoration

-

dartgts340

Reaction score
Well this started a while ago actually April of 2000. I bought this car in early 1990 and drove it for about 2 years. The engine threw a wrist pin clip then all hell broke lose. I decided to do a restoration rather than just an engine rebuild. This initial thread might be a little long winded sorry#-o

Car came apart as shown below in initial pictures. This point in the project was the point where I said to myself is it really worth it?

The car is an original GTS with 50k on the odometer. I have been trying to find another one that has the same color combination B5 with black top black stipe and black interior and can't, if anyone knows if this is a rare package let me know. I know this doesn't make it worth any more just would like to know.

Misc_pictures 024.jpg

Dodge follies frontend.jpg

Dodge follies rearend.jpg

After the car sat for 2years at the body shop with no work done. I had to take matters into my own hands and get the car back. The poor thing was in almost as bad shape as when I started it.

I then brought to a reputable place in MA and started all over again.

front_driver_side.jpg

trunk_deck.jpg

Well after many months and many $$$ later she looks like this. Everything is perfect or is it? These pictures were taken about 1 year ago and the car has been sitting untill now. I was in the garage working on it. The interior is in. The undercarraige is detailed and the rearend rebuilt. I had a really unfortunate surprise today though. I went to put in the Tail lights and they don't fit.. When the tail pannel was put on the car (no fault of the guy who actually did the work) the person who sublet the sheetmetal work supplied the incorect year tail piece. This one is from a 67 not a 69. I having run out of money at the time never noticed because I never tried to fit the tail lights in before now.. I know I feel like a dope but now all I can do is try to have it fixed without messing everything up. I am going tomorow to talk to someone in the know to see what can be done.](*,)

After surgery rear left.jpg

After surgery front2.jpg

0817061212.jpg

Well, I am sure you will figure out the best way to come out of it, but it wasnt really your fault. You do have a cool car and just dont get in a hurry, it will all work out. See Ya!

my favorite car and color:love7: maybe you can trim a bit to get the lights i:dontknow:
looks good keep us updated:cheers:

Well Not all is bad on the car front. I tried to speak with a body guy today who specializes in Mopar. He is out of town untill Wed, his associate stated that it can be fixed and I shouldn't have to have the back half of the car painted. I guess we will see...

On another note I have recieved my exhaust can't wait to put it on.. I have supplied pictures of it. The exhaust is from www.accurateltd.com it looks beautifull on the ground wounder what it will fit like..

I am not to worried because they prefit all the pieces and also mandrel bend everything from original patterns. Hey all the pieces are there now for the engine install even the exhaust tips...

Either way check it out it made my day with all that has been happening with the car this was a nice supprize..

accurate exhaust.jpg

exhaust tips.jpg

I think you should be able to get the lights fixed without too much of a problem. Your car looks great! Keep us posted.

Well Just talked to the Shop that is going to do the work.

Good news and possible bad news. First the good.

The issue with the tail lights can be fixed. They are not sure yet how much surgery it will need just yet. They might be able to just replace the bucket but might need to replace the complete tail assembly. The reason for this is the 67 bucket is smaller in shape than a 69 and might not be able to use what is there.

So believe it or not that is the good news.

The bad news is that at the minimum the whole back half of the car will need to be repainted. If they replace the bucket maybe not but if the tail panel needs to be replaced then it is a definite. Well I guess the bleeding will stop at some point. Either way I will have more information tomorow after they look at the job and see if they can find a donor for me.

There is another issue that they brought up as well (seeing as they have not actually seen the car yet) about the paint depth. They asked how deep the paint was and of course I couldn't answer because I didn't paint the car. I guess the problem with B5 paint is that it needs to be layed down on the car as if it were white pearl rather than a non metalic paint. If it isn't applied correctly you will actually see the primer under the paint. I haven't noticed that the paint looks thin but if it is they will need to repaint the whole car. Does that seem reasonable to anyone? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Thinking about it, it does make some sense but I am no body guy.

I am glad that this forum is here though. I can vent here and get all the information and advice that anyone could ever want, besides my wife is sick of me wining about the whole situation.#-o

I will update tomorow after the restoration shop is done mulling it over.

Saw an original 71 Hemi cuda in process of a rotisary resoration there so that makes me feel a bit better having them do the work. What a beautifull car.=P~

They asked how deep the paint was and of course I couldn't answer because I didn't paint the car. I guess the problem with B5 paint is that it needs to be layed down on the car as if it were white pearl rather than a non metalic paint. If it isn't applied correctly you will actually see the primer under the paint. I haven't noticed that the paint looks thin but if it is they will need to repaint the whole car. Does that seem reasonable to anyone? Has anyone heard of such a thing? Thinking about it, it does make some sense but I am no body guy.

I haven't heard of it either, but I'm sure one or more of the body shop folks will let you know, I'm planing on painting my scamp b5 as well, so I'll be in the corner looking over your shoulder on this build:D

I`ve seen the translucent paint condition with PP1 red paint. You`ve got to get quality paint and a painter who knows his craft. It sounds like you`re in good hands.

Well the tail light buckets are done and in the car. I don't have pictures yet but will when the paint is on the car.

I did run into a problem with the paint though. The fenders, doors, hood, and trunk were all painted at different times and also off the car so the main body doesn't match the car. They were painted from different mixes of B5 so they are completely different shades. The current guy working on the car is having a bear of a time matching the paint because every panel on the car is a different hue.

UGHHHH!!!!! I asked him how much to just paint the whole car again. He told me. After wimpering a bit I told him just paint the whole car and be done with it. He is going to match the door jams and paint it with that color which actually is B5 not the garbage that is on the car right now.

Plot thickens and wallet gets much lighter but now I am going to be that much closer to having her done.

Will post pics when I get the car back.

Well I got her back today...

Randy's crew did an great job on the tail light buckets. Unfortunately he needed to paint the complete car and new stripe because the panels on the car were all different shades..

Either way it is now time to start putting my baby together. I just finished restoring the grill and the tail panel. The dash is together and the carpet is on the way. I need to get a few more things and she should be on the road.

Here are a couple of pics of the work done. I hope that the rest of the resto looks as good as what I see here...

Thanks for the support...

Pass profile.jpg

new stipe.jpg

I want that car...

Can't believe I just found this thread. Awesome job on the restoration. Keep us updated.

Glad to see after all the problems you have had that it is done, and done right. Looks stunning, and will be a real show stopper once she's all trimmed out.

Grant

Well I looked in the Tech archive and didn't find this in there. I know that I had trouble initially so I figured I would document the installation of the quarter window regulator.

1) install the floating roller into the long slot of the window mount. I should mention that in the picture the roller is upside down the black roller actually goes into the mount not the white one.

2) install the window mount into the quarter panel.

01 start_upside down roller.jpg

02 how to insert.jpg

03 window holder in quarter.jpg

4) install the regulator. Note you will need to rack the regulator to one side to install with ease.

5) there is a small white roller on the arm of the regulator that needs to go into the slide attached to the inside of the interior panel.

I tried to get a good pic of it hope it is clear enough..

05 regulator redy to install.jpg

04 insert regulator.jpg

06 small roller.jpg

07 a small slider2.jpg

6) install the rear black roller into the same slot that the floating roller is in.

7) now install the lower black roller into the middle slot.

8) install the lower window guide roller into the lower slot.

08 rear black roller 02.jpg

09 lower black roller 02.jpg

11 lower guide installed 02.jpg

9) this was a little tricky. install the front window guide. Note you might have to pull on the regulator gently to get the guide to pass.

10) push window guide through first rollers.

11) push window guide through second set of rollers.

12 instlalling front window guide 02.jpg

14 install through upper roller guide 02.jpg

15 install through lower roller guide 02.jpg

16 front window guide installed 02.jpg

-
Back