69 interior weird option...anyone have info

-

1mopar1

Reaction score
I have the picture below of the original doorpanel out of my 69 cuda 383 formula s 4 speed. Can anyone tell me what factory door stripe is on the inside door pannel. If so anyone know where to get moore. Any other pictures of other cars with it. How rare.....Thanks, Doug

P1000505edited02.JPG

P1000505edited.JPG

Maybe go to a Mod Top registry. They may have info on other similar options. Have you decoded your Vin? If not, then go to the vin decoder on this site and that might give you the name of the option. Good luck and congrats cause it must be rare.

Maybe go to a Mod Top registry. They may have info on other similar options. Have you decoded your Vin? If not, then go to the vin decoder on this site and that might give you the name of the option. Good luck and congrats cause it must be rare.

I have been to mod registry and nothing. I did find a book that I could preview only a small portiong online and they were talking about a paisley in a 69 a body but the free preview was over before answering my question. Also the second owner told me that the dealer he bought it from in 72 sold the car oringinally and stated to him it was stock. I believe the milage was in the 20,000 range. Also this car is a factory 383 4 speed, but with drum brakes and no ralley dash, tac. This car sat outside in the guys yard. Friends of mine tried to buy it for 15 years. He wouldnt sell. I finally became friends with him and after 3 years he told me he would like to have a bb duster. So we agreed if I would pay the total bill for my 383 auto find a duster and convert to a big block and fix all body work, including paint and interior, he would give me the barracuda. So i did it, mainly for the reason no one else could and I hated seeing another car that just sat and rotted. Oh and the reason he parked it, the clutch went out...thats all.

here is another interior pic, and I think a pic of the factory drum brakes, which I dont know how many 383's came this way.
I am curious now,is the paisley material under that chrome strip on the door panel?not the top stainless piece but the foil strip part way down the panel?did you ever find a buildsheet?

"Back in the old days" we used "lace" to paint items. Still not sure why
that was done, but it was the fad at the time. My thinking is that
somebody might have installed the "lace" on the panels just to be
different.

no clue my bcuda has jus a plain black leather type panel on the doors but it's also not a S so no idea on my half i'll check my bcuda restoration guide for ya

I am curious now,is the paisley material under that chrome strip on the door panel?not the top stainless piece but the foil strip part way down the panel?did you ever find a buildsheet?

the pictures might not show very well but this material is a transparent type tape that is sticky on the back. the edges are roled around the tucked crome piece so that you dont see the edge, you can see in first pic where the chrome is missing at the edge, this material is under the chrome strip. I find it hard to believe anyone, other than the factory, was producing this ype of material. I cannot believe that any individual could cut this material with an exact edge without any inperfections. Also went i took this piece off to examine the back side is still very sticky. I dont know but I am still leaning towards a factory install. also the print is textured were the print is, looks high tech in the 60's. All opinions welcome

P1000521.JPG

P1000522.JPG

P1000533-1.JPG

P1000535.JPG

I am not sure if that was factory, but hey.. I certainly wouldn't be surprised. As far as getting more, I would think it would be pretty easy to duplicate. Since from the pics, the pattern repeats itself every 8" or so, you could simply scan in an undamaged section. Once done, you could use a paint type program to stitch together the pattern to a size larger than needed (or if you're comfortable with using a vector-based drawing software like CorelDraw or Illustrator). Once done, you could simply print the pattern onto a clear one-side adhesive material (maybe challengergary?). Then cut to fit.

Grant

I am not sure if that was factory, but hey.. I certainly wouldn't be surprised. As far as getting more, I would think it would be pretty easy to duplicate. Since from the pics, the pattern repeats itself every 8" or so, you could simply scan in an undamaged section. Once done, you could use a paint type program to stitch together the pattern to a size larger than needed (or if you're comfortable with using a vector-based drawing software like CorelDraw or Illustrator). Once done, you could simply print the pattern onto a clear one-side adhesive material (maybe challengergary?). Then cut to fit.

Grant

Thanks for the info. There is a shop locally that did a strip for me from a drawing and blew it up to go down the side of our race car. I think I'll try them to se if they could handle the project.

Thats something that I had heard of but never seen. Didn't know whether to believe it or not. I guess I do now. I'd love to have a small piece of that material if it gets ripped out. I'll save all the pics you'll post.

Looks like granny's curtains. I have never seen that in a car before.

Thats something that I had heard of but never seen. Didn't know whether to believe it or not. I guess I do now. I'd love to have a small piece of that material if it gets ripped out. I'll save all the pics you'll post.

good to know someone else had herd of it also. I have other pics as well. At some time I will try and get the dash out also. The stuff in also across the dash radio plate and glove box. Whick has the material behind the emblem, if i remember correctly. I am sure I can get you a piece. I have them on the rear pannels as well, we can get together on it.

Lace paint jobs were really big back in the late 60's and early 70's with the low rider bunch. I have my doubts that this was a factory option. Someone wanted a custom Cuda. I guess a man can always wish. I've seen a bunch of that in Southern California back in the day....even on chevies and fords.
Small Block

good to know someone else had herd of it also. I have other pics as well. At some time I will try and get the dash out also. The stuff in also across the dash radio plate and glove box. Whick has the material behind the emblem, if i remember correctly. I am sure I can get you a piece. I have them on the rear pannels as well, we can get together on it.

Doubtful its factory stuff. Never heard of anything like it, especially going beyond the door panels and onto the dash. But never say never with Chrysler:-D

Lace paint jobs were really big back in the late 60's and early 70's with the low rider bunch. I have my doubts that this was a factory option. Someone wanted a custom Cuda. I guess a man can always wish. I've seen a bunch of that in Southern California back in the day....even on chevies and fords.
Small Block

The car was bought here in Indiana. It has never left here. Dont know if the hoosiers back then were into it or not. Either way I believe I am going to try more research on it and most likely will try and get it reproduced and put it back into the car.

I'm gonna go with "not factory". If it was added at the dealership or at a custom shop back then, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm all for re-installing it in the car too if you like it.

-
Back