69 Valiant Engine Swap?????

-

Yukon88

Reaction score
I just got a 69 Plymouth Valiant, it currently has a straight six and an auto trans. This is my first build and I would like to do all of the work on it myself. I would like to swap out the engine with a 340, 360 or 383 but don't know witch one would be the right one for me to put in the car. I really would like the 383 big b and I know a guy that has one for sale, he told me it would fit if I went to manual steering but I don't want to lose power steering. I am looking at putting in a manual trans but didn't know if that would be a difficult task or not.
I could really use some solid advice on this issue, Thanks..

I would suggest you get the schumacher mounts and headers at engineswaps.com

I would suggest you make a plan before you buy any parts. Schumacher mounts are fine, but they are not the only way. Same with their headers.

I have a set of shumacker mounts s/6 to bb both solid and rubber mount and an oil pan also a set of under chassie headers that need to be fixed but are saveable and solid let me know if that interests you and I'll dream up a price for whatever your interested in okay #-o

If you are set on a manual trans,Schumacher headers will be about $800 when all said and done.

I actually went though this exact scenario Yukon88. I have a 69 valiant 2 door that was s/6 and auto. First I put a 318 in there with the schumacher mounts and a 727. The schumacher mounts did do the job just fine. But I decided to finally do a k frame swap and now I have a 340 with an a833 4 speed. So here is my advice on it from what I went though.

If you are looking to go to a a833 the hardest part is going to be able to find all the parts you need. It took me a while to gather all of the parts for the 4 speed from here and I lucky found the transmission it self around town. You will be spending $$$ for these parts so it adds up!! As for the power steering im sure you can make it work, but you will need to do your research! I went to manual steering just for the fact that I didn't want "drag" on my engine... but now looking back its not really a drag car so I do miss the power steering, and to find a manual box then you have to find a longer steering column because they are different lengths ( buddy of mine helped me customize my power steering column to fit the manual) This is a headache all by itself. Sorry I am rambling on but as you can see one problem will lead you to another so plan it out, ask your self what do you want this car to be, drag? street? show?

TL;DR Any customization will cost you money, and you'd be surprised how changing one part affects others, so do research before jumping into it. One thing is for sure these guys on here are great and listen to them and ask, there good people.

I would suggest you make a plan before you buy any parts...

This^^^

ask your self what do you want this car to be, drag? street? show?

and this^^^

Not that my .02 is needed here, but the overarching decisions above must be made beforehand if you want this project to not go overboard (with few exceptions). Do your research, make a plan with which you'll be happy of the end result, set out your milestones, and go for it. Whatever budgeting you come up with as a draft, add a minimum of 50% to that and be prepared for costs to double...nickel and dime **** comes out of the woodwork without warning and as the other posters mentioned, one alteration usually leads to others.

Otherwise-welcome to the board!! Use the search feature to your advantage, don't be overwhelmed by the results--many people have done what you want to do on this and other forums, so learn from their experience and you'll likely be very happy with your creation without the pitfalls.

-
Back