6V Dash voltage regulator removal

-

SlantedMark4

'74 Valiant 225 /6
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
2 weeks ago, my '74 A Body almost catched fire from a burnt cable or so under the dash. It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine. The battery was barbecued so I think the voltage regulator went.
Now my actual question. I think the smoke that came from under the dash is a burnt instrument cluster voltage regulator. I've tried to see something from underneath the dash but haven't seen anything. Now, do i have to remove the whole cluster? And if so, how can I drop the steering column? Do I need to unscrew the cover on the column and then the two bigger screws?

atleast on my 71 abody i unscrew 3 bolts from the colum (with the white plastic washers) and 3 bolts at firewall. then remove screws from cluster and maybe from the heater bezel. now u can pull cluster a little bit out and remove the electric connectors from both sides+ the amp gauge studs and speed cabble. Now u can pull cluster out. the voltage regulator is just pressed on cluster.

Hey guys
2 weeks ago, my '74 A Body almost catched fire from a burnt cable or so under the dash. It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine. The battery was barbecued so I think the voltage regulator went.
Now my actual question. I think the smoke that came from under the dash is a burnt instrument cluster voltage regulator. I've tried to see something from underneath the dash but haven't seen anything. Now, do i have to remove the whole cluster? And if so, how can I drop the steering column? Do I need to unscrew the cover on the column and then the two bigger screws?
In many of the steering columns loosening the screws as described by jeppe will they lower the column enough to allow the instrument panel to tilt out. Do a search here for post showing an instrument panel from a '74. Also see what the closest shop manual has to say. Some things are best to disconnect while the panel is still firmly attached to the steel dash.

"burnt cable or so under the dash. It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine. The battery was barbecued so I think the voltage regulator went"

These three together most likely indicate a high charging situation. Especially because "It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine" If it was a short in the main circuits, turning off the engine would not have helped.
Another clue should have been the ammeter. If the ammeter was showing high charging rate, that would explain the battery damage. Lack of voltage regulation is one possible cause. Another is ground short in the field connection to the regulator (check the wire and the alternator brush insulator).

Before removing the dash, you may be able to identify which wire(s) got so hot as to smoke. I would look first at the wires from alternator output to the battery positive terminal.

This is simplified diagram of the standard layout of the main power circuits.
1668474147868.png

In many of the steering columns loosening the screws as described by jeppe will they lower the column enough to allow the instrument panel to tilt out. Do a search here for post showing an instrument panel from a '74. Also see what the closest shop manual has to say. Some things are best to disconnect while the panel is still firmly attached to the steel dash.

"burnt cable or so under the dash. It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine. The battery was barbecued so I think the voltage regulator went"

These three together most likely indicate a high charging situation. Especially because "It started smoking but stopped after I've pulled over and turned off the engine" If it was a short in the main circuits, turning off the engine would not have helped.
Another clue should have been the ammeter. If the ammeter was showing high charging rate, that would explain the battery damage. Lack of voltage regulation is one possible cause. Another is ground short in the field connection to the regulator (check the wire and the alternator brush insulator).

Before removing the dash, you may be able to identify which wire(s) got so hot as to smoke. I would look first at the wires from alternator output to the battery positive terminal.

This is simplified diagram of the standard layout of the main power circuits.
View attachment 1716010623
Thank you very much mate. It helped me alot. Imma gonna check everything you told as soon as I'm back home.

-
Back