7 1/4 Gear questions (crate 360)

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
I have 67 cuda with a crate 360, I've been pretty hard on it over the last 3 years and its got a 7 1/4 in it, I'd like a little more take off and I found a place online that sells other gears for a 7 1/4 jeep new, but I was wondering if I put lower gears in it do I risk blowing out the rear end more. Like I said I have had this car for around 3 years with no problem out of the rear end, I've even took it to the drag strip a few times and get like 89 miles an hour out of it. Just wanting to know if its rear end suicide to put lower gears, I have an 8 1/4 but its a large bolt pattern and then id have mis matched wheels. any help would be great.

Mis matched wheels are the LEAST of your concern when you finally destroy that rear and loose a tire and axle combo at high speed. Your considered lucky that didn't get destroyed yet.

8-1/4 at a min. 8-3/4 perfurred. You can get strange, Yukon etc... axles for it as well with redrilled bolt pattern to match the fronts.

get that 7 1/4 out of there ASAP, i'm suprised it has lasted this long, i agree with rumble, 8 1/4 at the least preferably an 8 3/4.

aarong5
I am a fan of the 7 1/4, but in this case, I agree with the others. Mine has lived well behind several slant six powered cars, but with the torque of a 360, you are on borrowed time. You have the option of several stronger rears. Why not change to a LBP rear , and convert to disc brakes on the front, with LBP?
PS: don't know where you are located, but if you change out the 7 1/4, and it is a sure grip, I might be interested in buying it.

the one thats in the car right now isn't a sure grip but I have another one. both wheels would spin Im not sure if its a sure girp or the gears have been welded I am only 19 but try to soak up as much info as possible, I live in london ky, if you can tell me how to tell if its sure grip I can let you know.

I live in london ky, if you can tell me how to tell if its sure grip I can let you know.

With both wheels off the ground, turn one wheel, if the other wheel turns the same direction, it is either welded or a sure grip. The best way to tell is to remove the rear cover and look to see if the gears are welded, or if there is a SG unit in there. There are two types of SG units, the "clutch" type, and the "cone" type. The clutch type is much better for the 7 1/4, as it uses 4 spider gears, where the cone type only uses two spider gears.

PS: the 7 1/4 SG units are the same as those used in the other Mopar rears, only smaller.

trust me I just blew my 7-1/4 up tuesday night. The small rear cannot handle the power of the 360!

I have a set of stock small bolt pattern axles out of my 8 3/4 you can have if that would help your upgrade.

maybe how much do you want for them and where exactly do you live? I have a old 73 charger with a 8 3/4 sure grip, could I cut it down and put those axles in it? haha I'm kinda dumb on some things. still learning I guess.

-
Back